Well, today marks the start of day 3 since the surgery. She got her catheter & one of her IV lines out this morning so we're moving towards freedom. Her head is very swollen today, more so everywhere and not just on that one side like it was yesterday. Her right eye is extremely puffy and bruised, but today should be the worst day for the swelling and then it should start to subside. Her temp continues to fluctuate so she's getting Tylenol. The rehab team came in today( PT,OT,Speech) to work with Lettie. They sat her up for the first time since surgery which was great cause she has a ton of fluid that she needs to cough up. Speech tried to feed her some applesauce, but not too successful. I was told that she may benefit from a few weeks of inpatient rehab to get a jump start on her rehab. If this happens looks like we'll be headed to Atlanta for probably 2 weeks. That's the closest inpatient children's rehab center to us. She would receive therapy several times a day, 7 days a week. We would have a private room, similar to a hospital room, and I would stay with her at all times. She would likely be transported there by ambulance and one parent can ride with her. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this. I knew we would need to increase our frequency of therapy but didn't realize we would have to go somewhere else and stay. This is just another emotional hurdle for me deal with, I get nauseated just thinking about it. You just don't realize how much you miss your other children, house, or daily routine until it's taken away. I do realize the importance of therapy for Lettie and if this opportunity arises and we need to do it, by all means we will. My heart just aches for Jack & Cooper sometimes though cause I feel like they lose a lot of time & energy from me that I have to spend on Lettie and it's hard for them to understand that at times. Once again, I must realize that God felt our family could handle this situation or he wouldn't have given it to us. I just long for the day of no hospitals and some "normalcy." Dorothy said it best when she said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Day 3 has started
Well, today marks the start of day 3 since the surgery. She got her catheter & one of her IV lines out this morning so we're moving towards freedom. Her head is very swollen today, more so everywhere and not just on that one side like it was yesterday. Her right eye is extremely puffy and bruised, but today should be the worst day for the swelling and then it should start to subside. Her temp continues to fluctuate so she's getting Tylenol. The rehab team came in today( PT,OT,Speech) to work with Lettie. They sat her up for the first time since surgery which was great cause she has a ton of fluid that she needs to cough up. Speech tried to feed her some applesauce, but not too successful. I was told that she may benefit from a few weeks of inpatient rehab to get a jump start on her rehab. If this happens looks like we'll be headed to Atlanta for probably 2 weeks. That's the closest inpatient children's rehab center to us. She would receive therapy several times a day, 7 days a week. We would have a private room, similar to a hospital room, and I would stay with her at all times. She would likely be transported there by ambulance and one parent can ride with her. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this. I knew we would need to increase our frequency of therapy but didn't realize we would have to go somewhere else and stay. This is just another emotional hurdle for me deal with, I get nauseated just thinking about it. You just don't realize how much you miss your other children, house, or daily routine until it's taken away. I do realize the importance of therapy for Lettie and if this opportunity arises and we need to do it, by all means we will. My heart just aches for Jack & Cooper sometimes though cause I feel like they lose a lot of time & energy from me that I have to spend on Lettie and it's hard for them to understand that at times. Once again, I must realize that God felt our family could handle this situation or he wouldn't have given it to us. I just long for the day of no hospitals and some "normalcy." Dorothy said it best when she said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
praying for you each step of the way Summer - for each of you and the unique issues you must deal with. Lettie looks really good! So many folks are keeping up with you and praying - keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteMarisa
Love89
Summer....I just wanted you to know that Payton and I are praying so hard for you, Mark and Lettie! We love you all and please, please let us help in anyway that you need us too. She looks great and I am so proud of you for ebing able to make all of these tough decisions! She, Jack and Cooper are very blessed to have you all as parents! I know it is hard to be away from ther other kids and to feel like you are pouring everything into one child. I feel the same way sometimes with Bryce and all the heart stuff we have to go through with him. But, just know that even though Jack and Cooper might get frustrated or sad sometimes deep down I think they know what and why you are doing it. They will all be very thankful and gratfeul to you someday. We love you....Payton and Mandi Cooper
ReplyDeleteSummer...My mom and I discussed the ALT option yesterday after I spoke with Mark. That's our stomping ground! My mom said that she could take the boys and stay with my sister if you needed someone to hang out with you. I know that Satan is probably whispering in your ear that hospital stays are so lonely and that ATL will be so hard...Don't believe that for a minute. That won't be true. If she goes there...YOU WON'T BE LONELY IN THAT ROOM, SUMMER. Your Heavenly Father isn't gonna leave you, nor are your Earthly friends and family!
ReplyDeleteI love you,
Sarah
Summer & Mark, We were so blessed to have the opportunity to meet you yesterday at Vanderbilt. Lettie is such a beautiful and precious child and the thoughts of her has stolen our hearts. Know we are in constant prayer for her and you as well. We have placed her on several prayer request lists with wonderful prayer warriors. God hears and answers prayer. We are so encouraged by your apparent love and faith in God. How blessed little Lettie is to have you. Our offer still stands. Anything you need us to do while you're in Nashville, please do not hesitate to let us know. Love and prayers.
ReplyDeleteHang in there Summer. I know two weeks sounds like a long time but think about all you have already been through. You can do it! And Jack and Cooper will understand, I promise you that.
ReplyDeleteHave they talked about moving her out of the PCCU anytime soon? Hopefully that will happen soon for your sake. Take care and know that everyone at KPA is praying for Lettie and your family. Candi
Prayed with you all on Sunday and we've had an extended stay at Vandy with our sister/cousin who had bone marrow transplant, so we know the drill. Our hearts and minds have been thinking about all of you constantly and praying for Lettie's complete healing. This was a verse the Lord gave me when my brother was fighting leukemia. I hope it gives you hope and comfort for the journey.
ReplyDeleteProverbs 3:5-8
5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
8It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
xoxo
Kim Brewer
Wish we could be there again!! We are constantly checking your blog and praying for you all. Lettie really does look good. You guys get some rest and if there is anything you need us to do...please let us know!! We love you guys!
ReplyDeleteScott, Angie, Connor, and Caroline
Summer
ReplyDeleteThis is Deanna Moore from Hampton Hall. Valerie posted something on facebook asking for prayer for you guys and so I found myself here. I found myself in tears after reading this casue I hurt for you all. As a mother you hurt when your children hurt. Needless to say my thoughts and prayers go out to you, Mark, Lettie and the kids. I had not idea you where going through this. We will pray for you guys as this journey countinues. Just know that you are being prayed over by alot of people. God Bless you all.
Mark & Summer - You are the BEST parents for Jack, Cooper, and Lettie! Satan uses those "LIES" otherwise known as insecurities to bring us down. As parents, esp. mothers, we are SO HARD ON OURSELVES - I'm almost certain that Jack and Cooper don't feel an ounce of what you put on yourself. They know you love them more than life itself!
ReplyDeletePlease know you are being lifted up to our Heavenly Father that loves each one of you more than you can dare/dream/imagine!
Please let us know what we can do to help love on you guys!
Love,
Karl, Lori, & Kian
Summer, Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out I know its hard sometimes to ask for help but I would love to help in any way I can. Thanks for keeping us posted on Lettie's condition. We are still praying for you all Love, Valorie Fortuna
ReplyDeleteMark and Summer- I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you constantly! You have never left my heart this week. If there is anything that you need while you are in Nashville, please, please let me know. My entire family is there, and are able and willing to do anything for you.
ReplyDeleteDon't believe the lies of Satan. You are in the very middle of our Father's hand, cradled in His love and protection. It's only a matter of time before His healing is complete and Lettie is back home, her beautiful eyes lighting up when you talk to her. Love you all! (Tell Cooper that it's party time with lots of balloons when ya'll get back!)
Emmy
Mark and Summer,
ReplyDeleteI'll be moving in a couple of weeks, but I'd be happy to stay with Jack and Cooper if your sitters need a break before I leave. I've been thinking of you all all week, and checking the blog often for updates. Collette is such a beautiful baby! The swelling will go down, and the bruises will disappear. Mom and Dad need to stay strong!
Lindsay