Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lettie's anthem

It's about 5 am & tonight has been uncomfortable for Lettie. She hasn't really slept until now, which is likely due to the Tylenol with codeine . She has moaned most of the night and keeps rubbing at the right side of her head. Either she's waking up enough to realize the incision is bothering her or there's an underlying problem. They just came in and drew for labs again. Her last white count was 41,000. This is elevated but I don't know if it's an alarming elevated or just some.? I don't know enough about the norms of white blood counts. We've requested neurology to come check on her in the morning and we want the dietician to check her caloric intake on her tube feedings. Her stomach has been distended twice today and around midnight she vomited. As I'm posting this her nurse came in & told me her white count is down to 30,000 but her hemoglobin has dropped as well. I don't know what all this means but the drs should help us understand when they make rounds.
I wanted to tell you all that a friend I have met through this blog, Jordan, reminded this morning of a great song that I love. It's called "That's what faith can do" by the band Kutless. At home we listen to Love 89, when the kids aren't begging to watch a movie in the car, and there are so many great songs that help you get through tough times but this one is perfect for our situation so I'm gonna make it Lettie's anthem. We've been playing Christian radio in the room the past couple of days on the computer so she and others could hear it. Thank you Jordan for reminding me of this awesome song. I put on the headphones and listened to the words as I watched her finally rest some and happy tears came to my eyes. Faith will get us through this and our never-ending love for our Lord.

35 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of all of you often, and praying constantly. Your faith overwhelms me! Praying with you all for a miracle!
    Love, Jennifer Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer I don't know you well, but you were one of the first people that I met when I moved to Tennessee and started at SHS. I still remember that. I guess I tend to remember those people with a good spirit. I have been reading your posts on here for the past few days and I have to say, I am moved by your courage and faith during this whole situation! I don't know your little Lettie, but I am sure she is the most wonderful little girl! For some reason, Lettie's story has moved me far more than anything else ever has. Maybe it's an admiration of your faith in our God, maybe it was God's plan for me to come across this page and begin my own prayer journey for you guys. Whatever the reason, I will continue to follow this page and pray every day that your sweet girl gets better soon! As a mother now myself, I just simply cannot imagine the heartbreak that you and your family must be feeling, but I can also hear the faith in your words when you write. Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers today, and will be every day as Lettie fights this huge battle! God is good and can work miracles. That is my wish for you and your beautiful girl.

    - Sara Shular (Austerman)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 - Praying that God will sustain you and praying that today you will see great improvement. God bless little Nettie. Gennie Whitaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember someone saying to me last year, that God must think very highly of me because He chose me to walk out this trial and give Him the glory...so remember...He thinks very highly of you both because He knows you will walk through this time and give Him ALl the glory and praise...your hope and faith will move moutains...continue to be steadfast. Love to you all and peace for the day.

    Shannon Hays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the song What Faith Can Do. I've been listening to it the whole time that I've been catching up on the blog. Needless to say the tears are flowing once again. I can't even tell you how all of this that you are enduring has brought me closer to God, so I thank you! I'm praying for the day to better for little Lettie.
    Praise God for the decrease in the white count!
    Loved the latest pictures. Lettie looks really good and Summer you look as beautiful as ever. Take care, Candi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Summer & Mark,
    Just wanted to let you know that Evan had a few seizures that looked like his old spasms after his surgery as well. His white count was very elevated as well (that is high, but good its coming down). One thing the doctors told us was that the steroids they are on could elevate the count. Evan ended up having a staph infection, but we caught it so early that when they did the lumbar puncture, it didn't show. The way we found it was that he began to run a temp (not extremely high, but a temp still). Because of the absorbable stitches, his incision began to drain after a few weeks. Once he got the temp and the infection became more apparent, he did have a few more seizures. We've been treating the infection, and as of today we are 16 days seizure free (prior to the surgery, Evan had 2-4 seizures/spasm clusters a day).

    One of our therapists also told us that an older child that had a hemi that they saw had some discomfort for about 3 week, so while Lettie may not be able to tell you, she may have some discomfort and that is why she's reaching up to her head. Then, the hair begins to grow back and the healing make it really itch. We had a tough time keeping Evan's hands away from rubbing (we finally restorted to teh "no-no" on his arm so he wouldn't break open the incision scratching). Now, his stitches are out, his hair is growing (we ended up completly trimming off the rest of his hair to even it out and they had to shave more because they reopened the incision and did some other procedures due to the infection), and he is doing great just 2 mos after the surgery even after having to recover from MRSA / meningitis! Praise be to God!!!

    As you know and everyone has said, your faith will sustain you. Wanted to know that, even with the seizures, you are still on a positive path!!!

    Peace and blessings,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to give you another Scripture passage that has meant so much in my life - Phillipians 4:6-7. We also recently sang a song at church called "Even in the Valley, God is good." Wish I could remember all the words, but it attests to the fact that God never leaves us. We continually pray for you and are constantly amazed by the wonderful testimony your lives are to all those who keep up with your blog.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doorway.
    For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord." Proverbs 8:34,35

    Mark and Summer, you are watching daily at the door of God with your miracle Lettie. I can't imagine the pain watching her go thru these daily struggles and the anger at her seizures but your FAITH is astounding. It's not that we look at Lettie and say I'm glad that's not my situation but that we look at Lettie and see such STRENGTH to endure and what a fighting and beautiful spirit she has. It just brings me to my knees in awe of our God and her story is and will be far impacting.

    I know you guys keep getting knocked down but I believe it's your faith that gets you back up and you are at the battle front side by side with God shields and swords held high. "Put on the full armor of god so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes" Eph. 6:11

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda, Shenia, Jan, Janet C.July 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM

    Summer, Mary, Paul & Mark we are keeping up with Lettie every day. You can walk down the halls here at Chota and she is pulled up on every computer. Not a minute goes by that we dont think of all of you. We are praying for Lettie and that God will give you the strength to make it through every day. God is watching over you. We know he is. He has a plan for little Lettie and she is going to show all of us that miracles do happen!!! We love you all and most importantly, GOD LOVES YOU! If you get a chance to look for the song "Through the Fire", please do so. It says, He never promised that the cross would not get heavy and the hills would not be hard to climb-he never offered a victory without fighting but he said help would always come in time-Just remember when your standing in the valley of decision and the advisary says give in-JUST HOLD ON-GOD WILL SHOW UP-and he will take you through the fire again!!!!!! God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lettie's anthem and I am blessed by the comments/scriptures/prayers that so many are leaving for her. It reminds me of another song, "Sheltering Trees" by Newsong. You can listen to it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYQ5oS1O-C0
    The lyrics say that "We all need sheltering trees: Friends in our life who will get down on their knees and lift us up before the King of Kings, we all need sheltering trees." The audience of Lettie's sheltering trees continues to grow everyday as more and more people petition the Great Physician for total and complete healing! I am also praying that God will increase your faith and give you hope and peace throughout this journey.

    - from one of MANY sheltering trees in your life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer, it is okay to get angry. You are human and God gave these emotions. Don't deny them but give them to God. God understands. As in scripture,there was no victory without a fight so fight on. Moses' arms became tired during battle. When his arms were raised, Israel prevailed against the enemy but they got tired so Hur and Aaron supported his hands and raised them for Moses. When your arms of battle are tired, your Christian brothers and sisters will hold them up for you and there will be victory for Colette. What it will look like we don't know but there is victory in the LORD. I am holding you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have thought of several songs that are so
    perfect for situation over the last few days...one of them being "By your side" by tenth avenue north...if u want some more music to get u through! You guys have kept your faith so strong through what hopefully has been the worst part of this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was listening to a sermon on podcast yesterday talking about the storms of life. And how Jesus came to the disciples in the very thing they feared the most - the storm. But, as the preacher said, the sky will clear, the storm will pass. The sun will come out. And this quote came up by Corrie Ten Boom. She said, "If God ever sends you on stony paths, He'll provide good shoes." God has provided all these hundreds of people to pray for Lettie and you guys. He's provided the skilled nurses and doctors. He'll provide what you need to get through this storm! Our God provides. I'm praying for little Lettie and the storm to pass!!! Felicia (Barker) Hall

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't familiar with that song but I love it. I've been listening to different videos of it on You Tube. It is perfect for Lettie's anthem. Your faith is AMAZING! You are already reaching so many people. Praise God. I pray that today you will continue to see improvements and find peace. Love all of you! Lisa Archer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please know that you are in my prayer and in my thoughts all day long. I have asked so many people to pray for you and your little Lettie. I know she is in Gods hands. I know he hears and sees us ALL praying for her. She is and you are by your faith, bringing so many people to our Lord Jesus. As I hold my almost 2 year old, I am so thankful for his health and that of my other children. I will continue to pray for a miracle for Lettie. I know Jesus and the angels are with you now. Karen Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  16. julia stutts kingJuly 8, 2010 at 9:25 AM

    Psalms 40:1-3

    I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him.

    Summer and Mark you are a blessing to all that know you or have been touched by how you live your lives. Please know you are constantly on our thoughts and in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. julia stutts kingJuly 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM

    Psalms 40:1-3

    I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him.

    Summer & Mark, please know that you are constantly in our hearts and our prayers. Your lives together and the love you share with your family is so beautiful and precious...thank you for allowing us to be apart of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your faith in God has uplifted me and changed my attitude. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Our family is in constent prayer for you guys. You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am overcome with emotion. Don't really think I have prayed as much as I have in the last week or so, as I know is the case with the other prayer warriors who lift Lettie up to the healing grace of our Lord. You all are wrapped in prayers and in God's love. Thank you for keeping this blog so current. I cannot imagine what you all are going through, but am in sheer amazement of your faith. Lettie's Anthem is perfect. Continuing to pray without ceasing.
    Angie Arp-Jones

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christie Jenkins PippinJuly 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM

    I have been so touched by your story. You and your family are such wonderful examples of Faith. I am so impressed with how you are able to see God in every aspect of your adventure! It has really spoken to me. You mentioned Lettie being a vessel to the Father and I think you're right but I also think your family is an incredible vessel. You are such an inspiration to so many right now. I have been and will continue to pray for you and Lettie. God is sooo good and He will never give you more than you can bear! Hang in there!

    Christie Jenkins Pippin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Psalm 46:1& 10 "God is our refuge & strength,an ever-present help in trouble." "Be still,& know that I am God;I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth. " Psalm27:5"For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling;He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle & set me high upon a rock. " Praying diligently for Lettie & you today that this will be a good day & God will give the Drs keen discernment & wisdom & that anything hidden in darkness will be revealed to the light! In His Love,Lisa Cleland

    ReplyDelete
  22. John 20:29 "Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" Blessed you are!! Don't stop believing in His Truths. Praying today that what is hidden will be revealed, if there is any infections or underlying issues they would become known to the doctors and treated under the guidance of the Mighty Physician. Praying God continues to hand pick the people you will encounter, that He will be seen as they look into your faces and speak with you. Praying for your continued peace and understanding as given by the Giver of all things good, not leaning on your own understanding. Just asking Him to give you a good day today, a good day for Lettie. Glory to God as we all unite in prayer, fasting, and faith.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your story has completely touch me in so many ways. I read your updates constantly to see how Lette is doing. I am praying for you and your entire family. Your FAITH and STRENGTH are truley uplifting for me. I admire you so much. We serve as awesome God! God is in control and will show up and SHOW OUT!!! Ginger Mayotte

    ReplyDelete
  24. My husband and I are patients of Marks and I just found out about little Lettie the day of her surgery. Your family has been in my prayers hourly since then and I have sent emails to family and friends asking to put your family and Lettie on their prayer lists. We are grandparents of 4, one being about her age, and our hearts go out to you. You are touching soo many people throughout your journey, with God at the front. With many trials throughout our life, I know faith will get you through. It is so easy to try to take the burden on yourself, but you have to continuously give it back to God and HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND LETTIE!!! We will continue our continuous prayers and look forward to your updated blogs for the miracle. We want it now, but God has a reason for the journey he is leading you on. We might not know why now, but eventually he will help you to understand. You have an amazing family touching people far and wide, that you wouldn't have done without Lettie. She is such a doll---just want to hold and cuddle with her.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Summer~
    I grew up with Mark. I just heard about your daughter. I was reading my devotion today from God Calling and I feel it was meant for you to hear. I do not know if you are familiar with God Calling but it is about two women who met daily to hear from God. It is God's daily call them. You can look it up online and read the story behind it. Here is the devotion for July 7th titled "Painful Preparation"

    "Help and Peace and Joy are here. Your courage will be rewarded.
    Painful as this time is you will both one day see the reason of it, and see too that it was not cruel testing, but tender preparation for the wonderful lifework you are both to do.
    Try to realize that your own prayers are being most wonderfully answered. Answered in a way that seems painful to you, but that just now is the only way.
    Success in the temporal world would not satisfy you.
    Great success, in both temporal and spiritual worlds awaits you.
    I know that you will see this had to be."


    Amanda Robbins-Green

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tears of joy spilled out of my eyes reading this post. We have been through so much calling for a miracle for our baby girls' brain and I immediately wanted to be a part of your lifting you up in prayer when Melissa first showed me your blog. I KNOW the strength your heart receives from this song and I am SO SO overjoyed to see it was just what you needed last night! We will continue to stand with you believing in the redemptive power of the precious blood of Christ and pray that He spills it out over Lettie. Thank you Jesus for all of the victories, big or small, that Mark and Summer have had along the way. You are the author of all of them!!
    psalm 42:8 "By day the LORD directs his love,
    at night HIS SONG is with me-
    a PRAYER to the God of my life."
    Lord, this ANTHEM that You gave Summer last night is our prayer for Lettie. Impossible is NOT A WORD in yoru vocabulary. We continue to ask that Matthew 19:26 will be fulfilled in Lettie for a healing is surely impossible with man, but with you, Lord, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! We stand on the truth of your word, God and we plead for you to fulfill this promise for Lettie. Thank you, thank you, Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We love you all and are still praying constantly!! We want to see Lettie so bad, but Scott is so busy at work this week. We are here if you need us!!! And on a funny note- today is our anniversary and Scott actually has plans for us. A real date....and so far it has nothing to do with fishing or Gander Mtn.!! I know Summer will be impressed hahaha!!!

    Angie B.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mark and Summer,
    Matt and Jenny have been keeping us updated on your sweet baby girl. Reading your blog you can sense the peace of the Lord all over you. I know countless people are praying for Lettie and your whole family and know that many are praying in Benton, AR. We are praying, believing and expecting for nothing less than a miracle!

    In Him,
    Mandy Moudy Lane

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jennifer Shooopman-WebbJuly 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM

    Is anybody else amazed at how much this two year old girl has touch so many people? I know Mark and his family, but have never even met Lettie; and yet, the first thing I do every single morning and the last thing I do before I go to bed is check on her. God has laid her on so many hearts that I don't see how a miracle can't happen! Lettie is wrapped in His loving arms and he is preparing us all for an amazing miracle!
    On my knees,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to go along with what jennifer has said, I've proably only met Lettie once or twice at soccer games but now I find myself praying and crying for her daily. She has touched my life in amazing ways.God is with you. Praying M.Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know the family except through a co-worker this family is a member of her church. She first asked me to pray for Lettie before her surgery and she showed me the web-site. I have followed her progress everyday. Yesterday was my birthday and it was so hard to celebrate my life when this precious baby was fighting for hers, it just didn't seem right. My husband, myself and my 7 children are praying for her daily and we can't wait untill the day she can stand up and give the Lord our God all the glory of her full recovery. To the family keep the faith you are a remarkable family of faith and don't let time weigh you down just remember it is Our Fathers time not our own. You are in my thoughts and my prayers every minute of everyday. May you stand strong in Gods love, and know God and his angels are holding her close and are with her.
    with all our Fathers love,
    The Dopkins Family

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't know you but I just wanted to let you know I read some of your posts and I'm saying a prayer for your baby. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Summer, I know you through your grandmother - JoAnn. Your life has touched me beyond description. We all think we have problems....and then we read about real problems. Your little girl is just like you - absolutely beautiful. I pray for her and for you. I wish I had a magical wand to wave and make Lettie all better. I wish - I wish - I wish!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mark and Summer I did not know abot Lettie until Angie sent me something on Facebook about her, Mark and his family have always been very sweet and loving to me. I just want you both to know that she is on the tops of many prayer list in Alabama and Tennessee. Mark I am so very proud of you. You both are wonderful parents and have such deep, strong faith.

    Amanda Beth Cook

    ReplyDelete
  35. As I was driving and praying for Colette today the words, "I will praise you in this storm and I will lift my hand. For you are who you are, no matter where I am. Every tear I cry you hold in your hand. You've never left my side...and though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm." came across the radio. Chills ran up my spine. To know that the same Lord that spoke all creation in to existence. The same God who watched the birth and death of His precious son. The same powerful King who will return one day has a perfect plan. He is in full control. He not only knows what is happening in our lives He cares what is happening. We have a promise that He will work all things for the good of those who love Him. I know you love Him and He is being glorified by your faith and trust in Him. Only God knows the plan He has for Colette's future but we can be sure she will always be safely in His embrace.

    ReplyDelete