Saturday, July 17, 2010

Test results

The infectious disease doctor came in to tell us that the CT scans we took last night didn't show any further infection. Apparently, the main infection and source of her temp is this UTI. They changed our antibiotics last night so maybe we'll get better results on these. Dr. Paolicchi came in as well to share the results of Lettie's MRI. It seems that the blood supply to her thalamus in her brain is not what it should be. The thalamus is like a regulator for many things in our body- sleep/wake cycle, etc. The MRI has shown that Lettie's thalamus just isn't getting the amount of blood it needs to function regularly. This is a post-op complication that we would rather have not had. This could be permanent, but it is very hopeful that she should recover from this. Amen to that news! Dr. Paolicchi said this information fits with the behaviors we have been seeing from Lettie. She did confirm that, as we can tell, this is going to be a long road to recovery. We will likely be in inpatient rehab for awhile. That's fine. We'll do everything we can to help her get better. As you can imagine, this isn't news we wanted to hear, but it is an answer for why she is not back to herself or even close to it. We must now specifically pray that God will heal her thalamus, make it whole again and fully working. I'm going to be optimistic. Mark said this has set us up for a miracle... that's what we're praying for!

18 comments:

  1. Our family does not know yours, but your daughter is in our thoughts and prayers daily. God will use your situation to strenthen someones faith by showing an absolute miracle through your baby. Our 6 yr old daughter checks daily on her progress and prays each night that "God makes her brain better" God will give you more than you can handle. Have strength, know you have many who love your family and are walking the journey with you in prayer. A song that helps me when difficult times are around my family is by The Greesons, Where Angels Fear To Tread. When you have a chance listen to it and hopefully it will help you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer we are on the way to Mobile & I was reading your latest blog updates to my husband John & our 3 boys Zac-14,Will-11 & Josh-7. We were all cheering!! Lettie looks SO much more alert! We are rejoicing w/you! What POSITIVE & GREAT news...holding her stuffed animal & she Smiled @ you! PRAISING GOD that y'all got some definitive answers...not the news wanted but it gives you answers & gives all of us direction in how to pray specifically for Lettie. God we ask You to provide the needed blood supply to the thalamus in Lettie's brain to allow her to fully recover. Lord we're BELIEVING YOU ARE ABLE & we ask You to Heal Lettie completely so she may 1 day speak of Your wondrous works in her life. She will be a living testimony of Your Power & Divine intervention. We give You Praise & Thanks for all that You are doing in Lettie.Amen .Summer we will not stop praying for Lettie & y'all. Know that you are loved & lifted up! Love~Lisa C & family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Heavenly Father I ask that you open the bloodflow to Lettie's thalamus and ask healing for her, strength, alertness and continued tolerance, she's been through so much Lord. for the Brittons I ask for strengthing FAITH, GRACE AND MERCY. Lord lift them up when they are down. give them strength when they are weak, whisper hope in their ears when they are disheartened and intervene when they feel helpless. I pray for guidence and the correct decisions for the docotors that you bring information to their attention and let no detail be missed. I pray for healing from this UTI and relief from the seizures. We love you Father and give Lettie to you completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Summer. I'm blown away at your strength. I tell you, your reward . . . oh my! My prayers are constant. I'm on facebook a lot and everytime I see a little ladybug I send up a prayer. I plan to leave mine up indefinitely cause I know that prayer will need to continue for some time to come. I know it's difficult missing church, so I would suggest that Sunday morning you tune your computer to www.faithpromise.org and watch the service online. I know it's not your church and I'm not trying to sway you from your home there, but it's an easy, accessible way to that church exerience. The services are at 10 and 11:45 and again Sunday night at 9. I will continue to pray and lift you up and we are here in Knoxville to do anything you might need. In Christ,
    Sandi Gray
    865-405-9388

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will pray that the bloodflow to the thalamus will heal in time. I'm glad that you are getting answeres that you needed.

    Love,

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I woke up last night around 4:00 and God just put it in my heart to pray!! I am so happy that you got some sort of answer as to why things are the way they are!! She is so precious Summer when I was there I just wanted to pick her up and love on her!! I am praying for your strength for you and Mark!! The frustration,I can not imagine But I know he is with the both of you and your family!!! Please keep the specific prayer requests coming!!! I read the Blog everyday because I believe that everytime I pull it up It is going to say TODAY LETTIE GOT HER MIRACLE!!!! And God will get the GLORY!! Love Bekah ,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying that God will take control in your all's situation and that He will lay His healing hands upon Lettie as His will!!!!!!!

    God bless and Know that He is with you ALWAYS!!!!!!

    God Bless,
    Candi Long Gee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praising God that you are beginning to find out some answers! I certainly hope that the blood flow to the thalamus will be an easy fix or will fix itself in time. I will certainly pray for that. Please keep your updates coming. Your family is BEAUTIFUL! And little Lettie is simply PRECIOUS :) I have a 3yr old daughter & could not even imagine how I would be feeling right now if in your shoes. You pose so much strength & strong faith that I'm sure you are witnessing to others who are just beginning this journey. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!! Praying continually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer, Praying that God will heal Lettie's thalamus so it can function properly. Also, praying for no more seizures and that she'll want her bottle again. God is good! V.Allen

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are all praying for God's healing of the thalamus, seizures, fever, uti, eating & strength for you & Mark. Love you all...we dearly love love sweet LettieBug:)

    LeaAnne Dollar

    ReplyDelete
  11. A miracle is in the works!!! Praying that God will heal the thalamus!!!! LuAnne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have lettie bug on my mind and check the blog several times a day.... My friends and i are R. N.'S and we can't stop thinking of her . God is in control...keep the faith.... T racy R N

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOOOOO gald to see that Lettie smiled at you Summer! What a wonderful treat. My prayers will be directed towards increasing the blood flow to the thalmus, for Lettie to have the strength to take her bottles and for both you and Mark to see that smile again. Candi
    Is that NG gone yet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Preston CunninghamJuly 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM

    Everybody falls sometimes
    Gotta find the strength to rise
    From the ashes
    And make a new beginning

    Anyone can feel the ache
    You think it's more than you can take
    But you're stronger
    Stronger than you know

    Don't you give up now
    The sun will soon be shining
    You gotta face the clouds
    To find the silver lining

    I've seen dreams that move the mountains
    Hope that doesn't ever end
    Even when the sky is falling
    I've seen miracles just happen
    Silent prayers get answered
    Broken hearts become brand new
    That's what faith can do

    It doesn't matter what you've heard
    Impossible is not a word
    It's just a reason
    For someone not to try

    Everybody's scared to death
    When they decide to take that step
    Out on the water
    It'll be alright

    Life is so much more
    Than what your eyes are seeing
    You will find your way
    If you keep believing

    I've seen dreams that move the mountains
    Hope that doesn't ever end
    Even when the sky is falling
    I've seen miracles just happen
    Silent prayers get answered
    Broken hearts become brand new
    That's what faith can do

    Overcome the odds
    You don't have a chance
    (That's what faith can do)
    When the world says you can't
    It'll tell you that you can

    I've seen dreams that move the mountains
    Hope that doesn't ever end
    Even when the sky is falling
    And I've seen miracles just happen
    Silent prayers get answered
    Broken hearts become brand new
    That's what faith can do
    That's what faith can do

    Even if you fall sometimes
    You will have the strength to rise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys 24-7! Hoping and praying for miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. praying....patti brown, knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  17. Summer, this is Adrianne Jackson now Lacey. You have so many friends here who are praying for you. With your permission I would like to tell the local papers what is going on and do a fundraier of some type. Having had two boys with extended stays in PICU I how expensive things get. Please allow me to do this for you. My husband is contacting his aunt who is in the hotel buisness (Holiday Inn I think) and see if we could get you a hotel room donated or deeply discounted during your stay both in Nashville and Atlanta. Remember when you finally get down there have family who would be glad to help you. We have family and friends all over the world praying for your little Lettie bug. My five year old Lily will not go to bed at night without checking on Lettie and she just loves the pics. She got all excited about todays news and even jumped up and down for you!! Call me or email me if it would be okay to do this for you there are lots of us wanting to find ways to help. we are praying for you and check your blog five or sixtimes a day. My four kids listen to your muic while they facebook or play games. My cell is 865-441-3956 my home is 423-836-9025 and my emailis adriannelacey@gmail.com. Please let me know as soon as you are able. Adrianne Jackson Lacey and family

    ReplyDelete
  18. With tears streaming down my face, all I can say is "Praise You, Jesus"!! Thank you..Thankyou..for all YOU are doing and will continue to do! You are touching an amazing family; Summer, Mark AND YOUR Lettiebug! Thank you, Father....Thank you, Father....

    ReplyDelete