Friday, July 23, 2010
Busy day
I don't have much time to post so gonna hit the highlights so far. Lettie has been unusually sleepy today. We've had trouble getting her food in her and her bottle. Our room has been a revolving door since 8 am. We have had OT, speech, PT, case management, social work, rehab docs, and neuro in the room and it's only 12:30. This is the busy day of evals, etc. They have decided to decrease her klonopin to twice a day instead of three times because she's so sedated. Neuro is currently doing another EEG on her to see if she is in what they call a "silent seizure". If this is the case they will give her ativan to stop it and hopefully it will make her more alert. We got our modified stroller and it works great for getting her around and they're getting us a tub sling to help with bathing. It has been a lot today and we still have the afternoon to go with more OT and PT. I love to see her work though cause it makes me feel like we're gaining some ground. I will find out Monday our estimated length of stay. Prayers are much appreciated and needed. Our speech therapist is concerned with how long it is taking her to eat and stated we may have to temporarily put the NG tube back in until she's more alert on a consistent basis. That's crummy, but it's life. I've got to get a tougher shell and realize this isn't a day spa..it's REHAB and we gotta work to get better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gosh - I think you have about as tough a shell as anyone could have in this situation. I don't know you (Mark is my dentist, and I found this blog through a friend), but you seem amazingly strong. It is true that we are given the strength to just put our heads down and do what needs to be done for our children, but a weaker person would have crumbled beneath this weight. Keep your chin up, Summer. I can't put myself in your place and imagine what you've been through in the past weeks, but - from here - you seem to be doing a great job.
ReplyDeletePeace and continued prayers...
- Lindsay
I remember when Braxton was there. It is a great place! Maybe soon she will be able to enjoy a ride in the little red wagons in the hallways :) Stay strong. We love you.
ReplyDeleteSummer, watch Lettie work in therapy and learn just as you have done with me at your home. You don't really want her back like she was with the painful and scary seizures. You just want her smile. I will pray specifically for that. Her personality is still there. You know how hard this is for you. It is even harder for Lettie and SHE WILL MAKE IT AND SO WILL YOU AND MARK! Is her new stroller a kid kart? They can be a God send for all involved with her and great for her as well. Keep holding on and when you are too tired, we will hold you up. We won't let you go! I miss Lettie and you, Nancy
ReplyDeleteDear Sweet Summer - your strength and determination are amazing. Our hearts go out to you, but also believe our Lord is giving you the strength and power that is needed on a moment to moment basis. Yes, continued prayers are always with you and your Lettie! You are never alone. WE know you will continue to do what needs to be done. Jesus will continue to help you. THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!!
ReplyDeleteSummer, I cried after your blog last night...just know you are not alone. I know it may feel that way but He is with you & Lettie...and so are tons of people out here who will not give up praying & knowing God will heal Lettie. We love all of you.
ReplyDeleteLeaAnne
Summer I'm praying for you! You're doing a fantastic job of being Lettie's Mom,her caretaker,her advocate & her biggest fan & cheerleader! Hats off to YOU! Rehab is exhausting-physically, mentally & emotionally.We celebrated the day my Mom got out of an intensive 3 wk Rehab after having a stroke. This is a great step in a positive direction in Lettie's recovery. I'm praying for you daily that God will give you sufficient STRENGTH,ENDURANCE & PATIENCE to get through each day. Asking God to so make His presence known to You that you literally feel Him by your side. We're fervently praying that God will completely HEAL LETTIE & return her Smile & happy disposition!! A lot of what you're seeing (lack of smile,flat affect, lethargy,drowsiness,etc.) is often more from the side effect of the seizure meds & usually improves as the seizure meds are adjusted in the weeks to come. No matter what...we KNOW our GOD CAN do ANYthing!! Man (Drs,RNs,OT,PT,ST,etc) is able to help Lettie (& we give thanks to God for all of them) but GOD IS ABLE TO HEAL Lettie & that's what we're fervently asking God to do! In His Love~Lisa Cleland RN & family/ Montgomery
ReplyDeleteSummer,
ReplyDeleteBusy day!! You know now that this is the place to be for Colette. Time will fly and you & Colette will be back home. Colette is in my prayers today and forever.
Love,
Patty
Summer, just thinking about you guys all the time. I know your exausted so I continue to pray strength and endurance for you. I hope Lettie made it thru the day okay. I know that's alot of changes for her after allllll that she's been thru the last 3 weeks, I can't get over it! We will continue to pray specific prayers for Lettie (meds, food, alertness and NO seizures!) I hope you guys can settle into a routine together and get good rest at night as is possible. Everyday brings you closer to home... Beverly S.
ReplyDeleteI came across this quote today and first thought of you and Mark and this journey you are on with Lettie. God places the heaviest burden on those who can carry its weight. (Reggie White)
ReplyDeletePraying for you all.
Melissa
Summer, I'm still praying for Lettie, and you and Mark, as well. Have a good night. Try not to worry...just rest. God's going to take care of both of you. Know that you and Lettie have thousands of people praying for you...both of you, and we will continue to pray for you guys until Lettie is better and back home where she belongs.
ReplyDeleteValerie Allen
summer,
ReplyDeleteYou may not remember me, but my sister is Dee Mizer and she told me about your situation. I wanted to let you know how wonderful your strength and determination is for your daughter. As a mother I could only hope to have your courage. I work at Vandy in the Adult Neuro ICU as a nurse practitioner and I have to tell ya this. If you have a gut feeling, you speak out! Doctors and Nurses aren't God, and they certainly aren't Lettie's mommy. In the medical profession we do the very best we can, but nothing can be as wise as a momma's gut feeling! Thinking of you guys, Amanda Whitlock Hill...