Colette has had a glass half full day. She has been more alert like yesterday, however, every time she opens her eyes she goes into a pupil dilation, frantic, out of control eye movement and elevated heart rate (which is still too high to begin with). We saw these same things prior to surgery have been able to (what we call) "talk her out of a seizure" after a minute or so. This has happened about 10 times today. She has been more alert today, like yesterday. O.T., P.T., and Speech (to help with swallowing) kept us busy in the afternoon. We slept in the late morning due to being up with Lettie all night.
Dr. Paolicchi got back in town today and just came by our room. She is the neurologist who we have worked with from the beginning. We have the most confidence in her and quite frankly she is the physician for why we chose Vandy to complete the surgery. She has been out of town and this was the first time we have seen her since before surgery. Had we known she was not going to be here we would have postponed surgery! After talking with her we realize that we probably had too much faith in her and not our Lord. So, on to the meeting and where Lettiebug stands.
Dr. Paolicchi walked in the room about 6 p.m. and and gave Summer a long hug stating she was so sorry for the difficult time we are having. She is concerned with Lettie's current status. She asked how today has been and we told her. At this point Lettie woke up and did the same reaction except this time I was unable to "talk her out of it" and she had the same infantile spasm she had last night. Dr. Paolicchi was able to see this. She also stated that the white blood cell count is "way too high" and asked if infection disease had checked her (which they have not). We talked for about 45 minutes and came up with a game plan. She feels like the fosphenytoin is not the anti-seizure med we need to be on. We are going to start a ketogenic diet ASAP (kind of like an atkins diet). If she has another spasm we are adding klonopin ASAP and then would hope to wean off the fosphenytoin (but for a while we would be on Vigabatrin, Topamax, fosphenytoin, klonopin, and Ranitidine simultaneously). Otherwise we are staying on the fosphenytoin. We were told to expect more sedation with the klonopin but as long as it stops the seizures we'll deal with sedation (especially since we have been able to make eye contact over the last 2 days and see that the lights were on and somebody was home! Which was our major concern with the post-op sedation). The 2 major prayer requests are that we get the white blood cell count figured out and that we GET THE SEIZURES STOPPED! Overall we would say that Dr. Paolicchi was neither discouraging nor encouraging. She was more "baffled", but we have complete confidence in her skills. As far as a timeframe she just said laughing, you'll be here Monday.
God has given us a couple of nuggets in the form of miraculous coincidences that help to lift our spirits. We praise Him for this!
-New picture is physical therapy today.Lettie's arm is now in a sling for support. The second one is I guess where Jack and Coop were wrestling today and Coop snapped a pic. FYI they are doing fine!
Mark
I CANNOT wait to get my hands on that little angel of yours! Love you guys!
ReplyDelete-Jen
You guys are in my prayers all day long! Our board members prayed for Lettie at our meeting yesterday. Prayers are going up and the Lord is listening!
ReplyDeleteSummer, Mark, Mary, & Paul:
ReplyDeleteI am so blessed to know each of you- your faith, hope, and spirit throughout this ordeal is an inspiration to us all. I cannot even begin to comprehend what you must be going through every minute of every day, and my heart goes out to each of you.
My pastor did a series back in April called "Shattered Dreams." It was about what we do when God doesn't show up how and when we think He should. I learned that sometimes God allows suffering, pain, and crises in order to detach hope from other things and attach it to Himself. And that hope comes not only from believing God's power, but also from accepting and trusting his timing. It may not be today, tomorrow, or next week, but He will answer. I know God has a plan for Lettie and your family, and pray that He will give you peace and continuous hope during the wait. Love you all!!! - Carey
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and LEAN NOT ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6
Hey Mark and Summer,
ReplyDeleteI was so glad to see a post. I was feeling a bit frantic, even texted Lisa B. Anyhow I'm so glad Dr. P. is back in town. I can only imagine how thankful you are. Concerning her white count, have the blood culture results come back yet? Hopefully that will give the MD's some answers.
My prayers tonight are for that white count to come down and for a seizure free night. Candi
Just a little update on the FB prayer page....we have over 1,000 members praying!! I have been getting personal messages from people in different cities and states asking me to tell you all that they are praying for Lettie every day and how her story is touching their lives! This is amazing!!! Lettie is so special and she is touching so many people! We love you guys and we should be there this weekend!
ReplyDeleteScott and Angie
P.S. If you read my comment earlier today you should know what I am talking about....I did have to go to Gander Mtn. after all.
An excerpt from Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening Devotional that I think you will find encouraging:
ReplyDelete(2 Kings 3:16-17
And he said, "Thus says the LORD, 'I will make this dry streambed full of pools.' For thus says the LORD, 'You shall not see wind or rain, but that streambed shall be filled with water, so that you shall drink.."
The armies of the three kings were famishing and in need of water. God was about to send it, and in these words the prophet announced the coming blessing. here was a case of HUMAN HELPLESSNESS: not a drop of water could all the valiant men procre from the skies or find in the wells of earth. In similar fashion the people of the Lord are often at their wits' end- SEEING THEIR HELPLESSNESS, AND THEN LEARNING WHERE THEIR HELP IS TO BE FOUND. Notice that people were to PREPARE IN FAITH TO RECEIVE THE DIVINE BLESSING. They were to DIG THE TRENCHES. in which the water would be held. The church must learn by her efforts and prayers to make herself ready to be blessed; she must make the pools, and the Lord will fill them. This must be done in faith, in the full assurance that the blessing is about to descend. .. He is not tied to process and time as we are but does as He pleases among the sons of men... We must also note the remarkable abundance of the supply- What am I doing for Jesus? What trenches am I digging? O Lord, make me ready to receive the blessing that you ARE SO WILLING to bestow.")
Oh Lord, Summer and Mark are digging trenches so deep for your namesake!! They are stepping out on the promise of your word and proclaiming their belief that you are who you say you are! Oh God, honor their faithfulness to you!! Send showers of blessing onto their sweet Lettie girl and show the world the truth of this passage. That you WILL fill these pools Mark and Summer are so faithfully preparing. Come quickly, Lord, to save! Please Jesus, draw so near to them now. Oh, wrap them in your embrace of peace and comfort and REST tonight. Place your mighty hand on Lettie's hand in the name of Jesus to be calmed from seizing and to rise!!
you dont know me but i saw this on face book and just had to message you. I want you and your family to know that you are all in our prayers and our thoughts and I know that God will get all of you thru this ordeal you are going thru. I just had to tell you what a precious little girl you have and I know that God has to have a plan for one that precious. My sister has a son who was dignosed with acculattia when he was 9 years old he only weighed 42 pounds and could literally fit into his baby clothes. He turned 19 in march and is the sweetest boy you could ever ask for but she went thru years of hospital and doctors and home health so I can appriciate what you are going thru now. Just wanted you to know that many people are praying here for all of you and you just keep your faith strong and things will turn out just fine. Have a blessed and restful night.
ReplyDeleteYour friend on FB
Tammy
Summer & Mark My family, friends, and coworkers are all praying for you guys. You guys will get through this in Gods time. Hope Lettie has a seizure free night and rest well. God Bless you all. Holly (Green) Couch, & family
ReplyDeletePraying your specific prayer requests. Glad to hear Jack and Coop are doing good...I keep thinking of them too and remembering them in prayer. I find myself anticipating a good report every time I open your blog, praying so often. I remember when Sequoyah Smith, a girl from our softball league, was so critical a year ago and there was such urgency in my spirit to be with my Father throughout the day and night talking with Him about her. I feel the same way about your family and Lettie. I remember the first time I met Lettie and Summer...it was during the bible study that Greta was leading on spiritual parenting. Such a blessing! With our youngest being about the same age as Lettie I am constantly reminded of her throughout the day and never waste a moment to thank God for His work.
ReplyDeleteI was just reading in 1 Kings 18:20-40 and what a great example it is of believers praying with authority, when we come confidently to God asking Him to do something that glorifies Him. "Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word. Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again. (vs. 36, 37). After Elijah prayed this prayer the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the sacrifice, and everything around it! The people fell on their faces "The Lord, He is God! The Lord He is God!"
Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant! Let down your healing Spirit and consume the affliction that keeps Lettie's blood count so high, and rebuke the seizures! Let everyone see it is YOU, as the Dr.'s are baffled! Let those following this princess warriors life fall on their faces proclaiming "The Lord He is God! The Lord He is God!". May souls be saved, Your children reconciled to You, and Lettie healed...for Your Glory! In Jesus name! Amen.
Hugs.
I have been in constant prayer for you both and Lettie today. God has been reminding me of so many sweet gifts and promises that He has given though my prayers for you. First, I had that sweet, "first-time" taste of Jesus today when I thought of how difficult and heart-weary you must be as a mother and father. As a mom with little ones, I can't imagine being in your shoes. That feeling INSTANTLY reminded me of God's gift in the giving of His only Son for our sake..the reality of that gift was overwhelming once again to me and brought tears to my eyes. Then, it brought me back to you and Lettie and just how much He loves and adores that little girl..Jesus died for her! Gods love for us is still such a mystery to me!
ReplyDeleteAlso, on my heart today were these verses:
James 1:2-4,12 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (v.12)Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him" The commandment that He gives in verse 2 just seems impossible...but Mark and Summer, you are tirelessly obedient! I am in awe of how your cups seem to be overflowing! ALL thanks be to God!
Our sovereign Heavenly Father, I lift Lettie and this family once again to you in prayer. Lord, your love for us is a mystery and your promises to us unfathomable. Lord, restore their hope and sustain their joy in all you have given. Lettie is a blessing of immeasurable proportions and we thank you for sending her to Summer and Mark. You have declared Yourself in the midst of this family by infusing them with Your strength and might! May their spirits be renewed again tonight. Lord, we pray for complete healing for Lettie.
Chad and Jessica Lange
I feel so blessed to have found your blog via facebook posting of a friend- I met Summer in the line at Cedar Springs to register our kiddos for school there and since then I have thought often about you all and about your precious daughter. I believe in our greatest weakness, our greatest sickness, our greatest crisis is where the glory of God shines brightest- I know your sweet girl will be a vessel for God to show his power and strength. He is an ALMIGHTY GOD! Prayers lifted for the Britton family- God Bless you all!!
ReplyDeleteMe and my five year old daughter lifted our hands and hearts in a prayer to our Heavenly Father and prayed that he heals your beautiful little girl. We have full confidence that she is in God's hands and He will take care of her and you. My daughter asked that I tell you, "we hope she feels better soon and we will continue to lift our prayers to God."
ReplyDeleteMichele
Knoxville
Summer & Mark,
ReplyDeleteI hope all of you have a restful night. Colette will get stronger with each passing day. At the end of each day we thank God for her and she will get better. She has so many people praying for her. Your in my prayers.
Love,
Patty
Reading your blogs made me think of a song that Laura and I have been listening to. Reminds us of Lettie. Ella loves the song and sings along everytime. "Healing is in Your hands" by Christy Nockels.
ReplyDeleteI was at the Chris Tomlin concert tonight and he sang twice my new fave song. Our God. I just kept thinking and praying for your family and precious, Lettie. The chrous and bridge go like this.
ReplyDeleteOur God is greater
Our God is Stronger
God you are higher than any other
Our God is Healer
Awesome in power
Our God, Our God
and if our God is for us
then who could ever stop us
and if our God is with us
then what could stand against us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlA5IDnpGhc
God is with you and there is nothing to fear. He is so present and so awesome. He is a miracle worker.
Melissa Cox