Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Posting from Knoxville!

Wow, does this feel weird...sitting in my living room, at my house, on my couch and posting. I'm home for a day and will either head back to Nashville tonight or early in the morning. I cannot tell you what a rollercoaster my emotions are on right now. I was so happy to see Jack & Coop and to be in my own house, but I did not sleep well at all. I tossed and turned thinking about Lettie and if I should've just sucked up my own feelings and stayed at the hospital. But, on the other hand, I really needed to see my other kids and just "get out" for a little bit, take a breather. Before I left yesterday, she was having a good day. We didn't have any seizures, that I know of. She had some difficulty eating her lunch, but dinner went better. She went for a swallow study and they said she only aspirated liquid when she cried, but was able to cough it back up. They said her swallowing is uncoordinated but hopefully that will improve, along with everything else, in time. Ms. Mary, our nutritionist, brought us a new drink to try, Ketocal, that is vanilla flavored. Lettie always drank her bottle just fine at home but on the ketogenic diet milk isn't an option. She doesn't like water a lot and doesn't really drink fruit juices well either so our options are so limited. Ms. Mary has been making us bottles of heavy whipping cream, unsweetened apple juice, and a protein powder mix. It's not great, trust me, I try everything they give her first. But Mark's mom said she drank the Ketocal bottle much better last night so maybe we've found something she likes. The other new struggle we've encountered is now that the NG tube is out, we have to get all her meds in her by mouth. She is currently on about 7 meds that have to be crushed up and put in her either her food or bottle. We have to use tablet form meds on the keto diet, no flavored liquids. This is awful, Mark & I tasted the meds mixed up the other day & we were on the verge on vomiting several times. These struggles aren't near as bad as what we have faced, but they're struggles. Pray for her to continue to improve with her eating, return on blood flow to thalamus, movement on her left side, and no new complications. I hope so much that we will get to head to Atlanta Thursday morning. This is the time we really need the miracles to show up. The LONG road to recovery is just beginning. Pray that we will continue to see improvements above and beyond what they think she can do!

19 comments:

  1. Letties Florida PeepsJuly 20, 2010 at 7:54 AM

    Taking care of yourself is paramount to being able to care for Lettie. You have to be whole and strong to hold her up. Your other children need you as well. You are/were right to take that time to go home for a short visit. You probably know this anyway but having someone else say it might help remind and reinforce you!

    As my brother says, "You are in his grip."

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always praying for improvement. I'm so glad you got to go home. You needed that. Take care, Candi

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying Summer, for Lettie day & night, for your safe return, that you get to move on to ATL, for blood flow to the thalamus, no seizures, movement of left side & swallowing to be ok. And feedings with these yucky meds. We love all of you. LeaAnne Dolar

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the song says, "Just breathe". If you can, withdraw for a few minutes outside, turn your face to the sun, close your eyes, and breathe, don't think, just breathe. I believe that as Lettie is up more, moving, interested and stimulated, the blood flow will increase and any swelling etc. will decrease. She is an inspiration. God is empowering her to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying....p.brown, knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only discovered your blog yesterday. However, there is NO doubt you are an amazing woman and a devoted mother. Your other children most certainly needed you and your heart knew that! Do not let any doubt creep in and rob you of your peace.

    I pray a peace that passes all understanding will fill you today.

    Safe travels back to Nashville!

    Kelly Bolus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer, I dont know if you remember but I posted days ago that I sent Letties story to my best friend in DC that is a Dr./Neuroscientist at the National Institute of Health. She researches cases like this daily. Below is her response to your blog-

    "The brain is amazing in its ability to rewire itself and compensate for losses. In my research, we've seen patients that have a portion of their visual cortex die, but they don't notice any change in their vision. Because she is so young, your friend's daugther could grow up to be perfectly normal despite having a hemicraniectomy."

    I hope this puts a smile on your face and gives you even more hope. I know it does me. Even though the road to recovery is long, (when you arent pulling your hair out) cherish every moment. I know this is all easier said than done. Please know that we are praying for you all. Chug Lettie Chug! :)
    "Evening, and morning,and at noon, I will pray and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice." Psalm 55:17

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you got to take a little time away, seeing Jack & Cooper will refresh you & make you all stronger. God be with you on your travels, my prayers continue for you all & I praise God for all He is doing & is about to do....I'm expecting that miracle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what improvement Lettie has made. We went camping over the weekend and had no cell or computer service. I was blown away when I got to the computer last night to see how good Lettie was doing. Her recent pictures look amazing. I would lay at night in the tent, since there was nothing else to do, and pray for you guys. Thank goodness we serve a God that you can pray to anytime and anywhere. He hears our prayers even in the most remote places. I'm glad he isn't like our cell phones that only have coverage in certain places. I felt as if part of me was missing not being able to check the blog every few minutes. Our prayers are being answered. Each day brings new joys, hold on to them and stand back in awe to see how God is working. Our prayers never stop. Love you,Greta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer and Mark,
    I will continue to pray for the things you mentioned. Glad you're getting to spend time w/ your other kids...you needed that, and they did, too. Please continue to write your daily blog so we all can keep up w/ how Lettie is doing. Have a great day! God is good!
    Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am praying you have a fun relaxing day with Jack and Cooper. I hope you make fun memories and it just fills their little love tanks up spending time with you. Also praying Lettie stays on the road to recovery and you are not worrying about her. God is with all you every step of the way.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for the specific things you ask for!!! I thought about your feelings and perceptions about the taste of the meds in the food....I remember how repulsive I found many things I've fed my three girls over the years because those things were "good for them" but tasted like doo LOL! But somehow they didn't realize it! Remember our "big people" taste buds have been programed with lots of tastes Lettie hasn't experienced yet..so maybe, with a lot of divine intervention:), those meds will not taste like doo and make her think "yuck!"! I'm really praying for this!!! I love her latest pictures and the earlier pictures as a testimony to how far God has brought her!

    I heard a Chuck Swindoll devotional in the car this morning about the word "Awesome" and how over used it is these days (boy was I convicted about this!). He pointed out how only God is truly "AWEsome". I thought immediately about Lettie's journey, you and Mark, Jack and Coop, the body of believers that have rallied in prayer, a year ago praying and believing for Sequoyah Smith...I thought about all the things, big and seemingly small, that God has worked out and accomplished and "AWEsome" took on a whole new definition. By the leading of His Spirit, AWESOME has been revealed specifically as GOD. His work is AWESOME! Thanking Him daily for His work in Lettie!
    Prayers and love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Summer I can imagine how torn you must feel being away from Lettie yet at home resting with Jack and Cooper! I pray you have a relaxing and stress free day enjoying your time home. Three weeks is a long time in a hospital room! I cannot imagine how trying it is on your nerves. I pray Lettie has a very good uneventful day! You're an amazing mom and you need to recharge your battery so you can be 100 percent for Lettie when you return! I pray you have a safe trip back to Vanderbilt and also a safe trip to Atlanta on Thursday (because I strongly believe you will be going then!)! Lettie looks so amazing! What a beautiful sight to see. I look forward to many more of these beautiful sights and pray that one day I may meet you all and tell you how much your story has changed my life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer, I hope you enjoy your day with Jack and Cooper and if it works out that you stay home tonight maybe you can get a good nights rest and get your batteries recharged for your new "adventure" in Atlanta. Please know we are continuing to pray for your family and the specific prayers for Lettie. I hope and most def pray she will take the meds, I know that will make things much easier on her and all of you.

    Again praying stamina and perseverence for the road ahead. We're all rooting for you and please know if you need anything we're here for you guys.

    Beverly Sharp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Summer, So happy Lettie has improved to the point that you feel you can take a break. I can relate to how you feel about leaving her in Nashville without you, however. You know she is in good hands with Mary and your father-in-law though. We continually pray for Lettie and your entire family. We still pull up your blogspot to check on Lettie's progress. We are so grateful to God for His watch and care over this precious baby and for continued healing. Even though we have only met briefly a few times at the hospital Lettie and your family are in our hearts and on our minds constantly and we will continue to pray for her for as long as it takes (and even afterward).
    Sue Ann Lingerfelt

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom always says, "Guilt comes with afterbirth". I didn't know what she meant until I had children of my own! Enjoy your time with your kids and sleeping in your own bed. Lettie is in good hands. Travel safe. In God's Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Summer,

    I know that Colette will show great improvement over the next several weeks. She will be in my prayers. Jonathan enjoyed playing with Jack & Cooper and making chocolate chip cookies, boy did COOP enjoy them. Give Colette a hug from all of us.

    Love,

    Pattu

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you allowed yourself to take a break to get out of the hospital and be with Jack and Cooper.

    I'll try to get you that sweetener as it will really help with the meds. They do taste terrible and bitter. We'll be in Thursday evening if you haven't left yet. If you have, I'll try to find out how to send it to you in Atlanta.

    So glad Lettie is feeling better. We are continuing the prayers.

    God Bless and drive carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad to be a part of "God's Perfect Plan"...although I do not know "Lettie" personally I feel a great Spirit around this little girl. All who have had the opportunity should count this as an opportunity to build upon our FAITH. I Thank God that for this reason, I am abundantly blessed! I could not ask for a clearer path. Thank God in advance for his greatness and wonderous works. He is so good. I can't wait to oneday meet Lettie, and touch the POWER OF GOD. Many continued blessings to your family and all who have recognized and received God's power.

    ReplyDelete