Tuesday, July 6, 2010

An EARLY morning post

Well, it's about 4:50 am and I'm still awake. Lettie's status hasn't really changed much. Her heart rate is still very high and they've tried meds a couple of times but nothing seems to be doing the trick. She is still mostly sleeping. We're suctioning her every hour or two and they just came in to do another chest x-ray about 30 min. ago. That's what you call early service! She is still hooked up to the EEG and a neurology resident, with the personality of Eeyore, came in to check on us and every question I asked he said he would prefer to defer that question to the other drs. Not making me feel very confident right now. Maybe that's why he's working the midnight shift....less questions to answer. I sent Mark to the sleep room for some much needed rest on his part and of course it would happen that as I sit in PCCU by myself the child across the room coded. There are only 4 of us in PCCU to begin with and all of a sudden my nurse goes running out and I see all the nurses running to that child's room. The rooms are all glass so you can see everything going on and I stood in dismay as they performed chest compressions for a very long time. Needless to say I was in tears and about to vomit as I watched this happen. I began to pray for the family because it was starting to look grim and unfortunately this child did not make it. The PCCU has been very grim since that happened at 4 am and words cannot express how hard it is to watch the family go in and come out crying. We really need a miracle God! Please get Lettie better soon. I'm not sure how many more emotional hurdles I can overcome. Please pray peace upon that family as I cannot imagine how they are still standing. I will post more in the morning if we have any updates. I'm praying I will be posting about Lettie's miraculous recovery to which we owe to only one true hero, our Lord, Jesus Christ!

16 comments:

  1. So many are praying for Lettie. Word has spread and so many, more than you can imagine, are pleading with Jesus for healing. I keep your blog up, as I am eager to read what God is doing. I am also a mother. I have a 4 yr old and a 19 mo old. My heart aches as I read, but I long to tell you of my love for your family. I know of God's healing, and I plead with Him to heal little Lettie and show His power. Heal, Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have prayed just now for a sign from God today. I wait expectantly to see what HE will do today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But maybe God wants to stack the odds against us so we can experience a miracle of divine proportions Maye faith is trusting God no matter how impossible the odds are. Maybe our impossible situations are opprotunities to experience a new dimension of God's glory...Sometimes God won't intervene until something is humanly impossible. And He usually does it in the nick of time...God given opprotunities often come disguised as man-eating lions. And how we react when we encounter those lions determine out destiny. We can cower in fear and runa way from our greatest challenges. Or we can chase our God-ordained destiny by seizing the God-ordained opprontunity...The greatest opprotunity were often the scariest lions.. Some of those life-altering decisions caused sleepless nights. The steps of faith were accompanied by acute fear and caused nausea...Faith gives us the freedom to overcome human limitations..via prayer."
    In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day
    Mrk Batterson
    We continue to storm the throne for Lettie and you and Mark praying for God to reign down glory and strength over Lettie.
    Psalm 68:28 Show yourself STRONG, O God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am agreeing with Nancy in prayer today and stand with my sister in Christ expectantly. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for your sweet Lettie and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Summer, as I read your posts, my heart breaks as it brings back so many flashback memories. I know exactly how you feel and all those emotions, stress, worry, anger, etc.

    I am praying for you guys and for little Lettie, and for that poor family whose child went home to God today.

    I know what you mean about the night patrol. I really think you hit the nail on the head that they chose night shift for a reason. I know Dr. P. is back on Thursday because we have an appt. (our appt actually got moved from today, so when you said she got called out of town, that makes sense). See if you can put in a request for her to come see you when she's back in town if she can. I bet she can give you some better feedback.

    When Evan got sick a few mos before the surgery and his seizures spiked, Dr. P added klonopin / clonazepam at a very low dose. I think its 0.5 mg in a dissolvable tablet. They don't have the dissolvable there at the hospital, but they should be able to get it. We had great results with it and I would say it was probably the one med I felt was giving Evan the best control before his surgery. Maybe ask the neurology team about that instead of the Keppra. We also had not luck with that.

    Please call today on my cell if you need to for any reason. Know that, while you might be feeling alone, not only are you in wonderful hands at Vandy, you are in wonderful hands with God and there are so many prayers going up for you guys that I know there are angels standing guard at little Lettie's bedside letting her rest and heal.

    If I don't hear from you, I'll call and check on you this evening. We will be there on Thursday afternoon to see Dr. P.

    Peace be with you all!
    Shannon Hepp (Evan's mommy)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy Tyler GatchelJuly 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM

    PRAYING WITHOUT CEASING for Colette and the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Folks,

    We go to NorthStar but just recently became aware of your situation. Reading your blog takes me back to our times in the PICU at Vanderbilt. Our 16-year old, Elijah, was born with a heart tumor and had a tumor reduction and then a transplant at 21 months. For the first two years of his life we couldn't imagine the future. We didn't let ourselves 'go there.' I want to encourage you that God is able to do'exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think.' We had our worst days in the PICU...and we saw prayer change things. God allows Satan a certain amount of leeway; he can make things look really bad, but he has no power to thwart the good God has planned for you. Keep the faith.

    Praying for you all,
    Abbie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer you and Mark are wonderful parents that give the best and want the best for your children. Do not blame yourself. You only did what you believed to be the best for Lettie. She is lucky to have Godly parents that turn to God to seek the help for her that she needs. It seems so unfair for Lettie to be going through this. All of us here at Chota are praying for God to touch her and heal her like only he can do. We are also praying for God to give you and Mark the strength to stand when you feel like you cant even crawl. May God work miracles and show himself in a huge way!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer, I am weeping as I read this. I can't imagine how hard last night must have been. I wish one of us could have been there with you. We are continuing to cry out to God for healing and BELIEVING He can and WILL . Me, Ella and Kate just got done praying. Ella, rather than hold hands like we normally do, actually laid on the floor w/ her face on the ground as she prayed for God to heal Colette. I know God is hearing us, but as I watched little Ella pray, I could picture God, chomping at the bit to show up...just waiting for the exact moment when He knows we need Him most...to show up and show off! Praise the Lord for those words from Mark's cousin. That's what He's gonna do!!!!
    We love guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry I do not know your family, but we have a mutual friend who has been posting prayer requests and your blog site on her FB page. I have been reading your blog and the struggles you are going through right now. I wish I knew you and your courageous little Lettie who is battling for her life right now. Our friends FB page led me to you all to pray for your child and your family. Just know that there are others outside your circle of friends and family that are now praying for you all. May God's ever perfect will be done! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer & Mark,
    I'm following your blog everyday. This is Ken Boa's version of prayer from Psalm 27:13-14, and my prayer as well...
    "I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. I will hope in the Lord and be of good courage, and He will strengthen my heart; yes, I will hope in the Lord."
    Elizabeth Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Summer, We are still praying for Colette and all of the family Just remember "God's promises are like the stars;the darker the night, the brighter they shine" We are truly believing in a miracle for your baby girl and that she will shine for all to see in Jesus Name.
    Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer and Mark, We are still praying for you all and Colette, "God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine" we are praying for a miracle for Colette that she will be healed and is going to shine for all to see in Jesus name! Valorie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey guys....hope this post finds that you all well rested! Payton, myself and our entire family is bathing little Lettie in prayers. Just wanted to drop you a little verse that God laid on my heart to share with you. We love you guys!!

    So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
    Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I read your posts and see the pictures of this beautiful, sweet baby girl it brings back memories of my granddaughter at the age of 2 who was admitted to Childrens Hospital with Ecoli. Dr told them it was the bad kind that can attack the blood and kidneys. It soon started attacking the blood. They had to give her blood and platelets. Soon it started attacking her kidneys. They took her to surgery and put in a port for dialysis. They transfered her to U.T Hospital to start dialysis. She was put to sleep again to put a pick line to draw blood. As she lay there sleeping I looked at the bloody, yucky mess in the catheter bag and wondered how that could ever be normal again...but we kept praying and hanging on to Faith and Hope. The next day her kidneys started working. The doctor on the floor that day was surprised but said "Praise the Lord". She is now 6 years old and we consider her a walking miracle.
    I said all that to say this, God can take a situation that to us looks hopeless and turn it completely around. God made Colette's little body and he can fix it. I'm praying for complete healing for Colette as well as peace and comfort for both you and Mark and the rest of the family. Satan likes to burden us down with worry and fear but God is still in control. Hold fast to the Faith and don't lose Hope.
    Love & Prayers,
    Dianne Rider

    Also praying for peace and comfort for the family of the little one who entered into the arms of Jesus this morning.

    ReplyDelete