Monday, July 12, 2010

Things are moving....

Today has been very busy. We have had some concern with how Lettie's progress or better yet lack of progress is going. We seemed have different teams that follow us..pediatrics, neurology, neurosurgery, and we have to explain things multiple times and most of the time we don't get many answers. A case worker had visited us in the PCCU and told us if we needed anything she was here to help, so before Mark left yesterday he emailed her with some of our concerns. Boy, did that open the floodgates. We have had a social worker, the entire neurology team, hospitalist team, and neurosurgeon all in here in about an hours time. They understand our concerns and FINALLY they are putting hospital protocols aside and letting Dr. Paolicchi, our neurologist, follow Lettie. Usually, you have to go with the dr on rounds that week, but our situation keeps changing and not really getting any better so we need someone who knows Lettie's case to follow us. Thank you Lord for this nugget of hope that things will get better. We are moving rooms, again, but it's a good thing. Dr.Paolicchi wants to hook her up for another EEG so we're going to a room that can video monitor her seizures. They have also set up a care conference tomorrow where all members of Lettie's medical team will sit down with me and explain what is going on and what to expect. Dr. Pearson came by and said that the swelling was not a bleed but was cerebrospinal fluid. They will monitor this and if it gets worse we would have to put a shunt in to drain off the fluid. Please specifically pray we don't have to do this, pray the swelling will go down on its own. Dr. Pearson also said the movement on the left side could be coming from seizures on the left side and making both sides move. This isn't great news, but hopefully, the new meds will stop these seizures. She seems to be doing ok today so I'm very grateful for that. Please pray for continued improvement and strength for me tomorrow during the care conference.

23 comments:

  1. Praise God! All the angels are getting things organized to help Lettie get the care she needs! Rest in Him, feel His arms around you, lean back on His chest and rest, Summer. He is in control and so many prayers are going up and will continue. We are all here, just wishing there was something we could do to help, so if there's anything . . . is there a mailing address there where cards and things could be sent? You are loved! Sandi Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news. Good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay LORD!! Keeping the prayers throughout the day and night! Praying for the medical team as they meet together: wisdom, revelation and insight from The Father!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie Jenkins PippinJuly 12, 2010 at 2:50 PM

    That sounds so promising Summer! I will definitely be lifting you up tomorrow for the conference and until then I will pray for continued improvement in little Lettie! Please, Lord, no more seizures and please let the swelling go down so she doesn't have to have the shunt! Still amazed at the Faith you all have displayed during this whole adventure! Your whole family is a testimony to God's enduring love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently have been following your blog, and reading your posts! I know this has to be such a hard time for you and your family! I just want you to know that I am keeping you and your family in my prayers through this difficult time, and that your daughter will be healed! We don't always know and understand what God's plans are but we have to trust in him because he knows best in every situation that we are going thru. I will pray that your daughter will continue to heal everyday and that the Doctors will be able to figure out exactly what is going on with her, and will be able to fix the problem.

    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

    -Christina Williams

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great news Summer! Praise to God for whom has His hand on everything... Praying He will continue to show up in His own special ways.
    **HUG**
    ~Lynsi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Summer! I'm so thankful to hear this news about your conversations with the doctors today. I saw Mark pulling up to the office this morning as I was dropping Michael off and that reminder that he wasn't still there with you and Lettie broke my heart. Yall have been constantly on our hearts but you are especially now while you're there without him. I'll be praying for you during your meeting tomorrow. You both have been such wonderful examples of God's command to "not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Of course this is an anxious time but the way you're continuing to praise God for his little gifts is inspiring. I know you have many, many people praying and presenting your specific requests to God! We will not stop praying! Michael and Becca Williams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Psalm 72:12 - "For He will deliver the needy who cry out to Him.."

    Rejoicing with you that things are moving in a positive direction. I hope it gives you an increase in hope and courage!
    Lord,
    I pray that you would increase the knowledge of Lettie's team of doctors working on their case. Open their eyes to things that might have been missed and I ask Lord that Summer would receive answers during the mtg. You are never surprised or taken off guard as you are in control of everything that happens with this precious family. Please bring resolution, please bring continued strength and courage for Summer as she waits for her family to return.. be her companion, Lord. Walk alongside her every moment as though she can feel your hand on her shoulder at all times. (1 Cor 1:8 "He will keep you strong..")Lift her face to you, Lord so she can stand during this time of trial. Bring this family out of this fire, especially Lettie Lord, without even the scent of smoke on them. Bring deliverance, peace and courage. I pray that you reveal the wisdom the doctors need to figure out what is the best next step. And Lord, please stand in the way of seizures for Lettie. We believe in your power and stand on your word that all these things are possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Summer, it is fantastic that a meeting has been arranged. I would go ahead and start a list of questions that you want answered. I have sent the blog address to my best friend Kara. She is a Dr./Neuroscientist for the National Institute of Health in DC. She studies neurological disorders and acute stroke research. I figure it wouldnt hurt to have not only other people praying but someone that studies this type of occurances daily read your blog.
    I cant imagine having to make the decisions that you and Mark have been faced with. Everything happens for a reason, and it is all in Gods will. No one knows how truly difficult handling a situation like this is until faced with it. Just know that no matter what the surgeons say or test results may show God is the ultimate healer. I pray that he lays his healing hands on her little body.
    Amy Turner

    ReplyDelete
  10. PRAYING....p. brown, knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise the Lord! Glad you are whipping those people into shape over there. praying God would give lettie's team wisdom beyond their training and specific insight into her unique needs. Keeping the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GR8 NEWS!! Specifically what I prayed for y'all during my lunch break. I'm an RN & continuity of care & every1 being on the same page is crucial. All bases are covered & nothing falls thru the cracks or goes untreated. Y'all have been so on top of everything I'm sure you've already written out a list of your concerns to take to the meeting. Taking detailed notes of every1s answers to your ?s is important too. It will help to keep every1 on the same page in the days to come & you won't be able to remember everything they tell you but you'll have notes to look back @ later.My sister kept a spiral notebook... even the Drs appreciated it b/c when 1 came in & asked what the pulmonologist or cardiologist said she could immediately tell them (Obviously they didn't read progress notes in chart or talk to 1 another daily & he was critically ill. )You are a PHENOMENOL mom! Know that Lettie,you & your family are being covered in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I said a special prayer for her and you guys today and will continue. Sounds like you did have a bright note to the day. Keep the faith, God knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is great news Summer. I had no idea that Dr. P wasn't able to be involved in Lettie's case. How crazy is that!
    I want to share something that happened today. I was at the Christian Book store today, I found a woman to help me with what I was looking for. When I explained what I wanted she asked, "Can I ask why" so I told her about Lettie and everything she has been going through and how right now it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but that we know it's there. She said "Honey you'd be amazed at what God can do" She herself had a large part of her right brain removed several years ago for a seizure disorder. She's doing very well and the left side of her brain took over. I was very close to tears and I do mean close. God will heal Lettie in the way and when He wants her to be healed. It's just going to take some time. Praying for a good night, and one free of seizures. Candi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Summer,
    Glad to hear some positive news! Hope things start moving along better now. Good luck in the meeting tomorrow! I know you are super busy and things are a bit crazy....but when you get time, text me your email address. I have some messages to forward along to you that I think you would like to read. Also, if you have a recent family photo of the whole family, email that to me as well.(I'll explain that later:-)Just when you have a chance!! We love you and are still praying!!!

    Angie and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the positivity, and I am continuing to pray! Praying for strength for you and Lettie and knowledge for the team that follows you. <3 May God bless you all and keep you safe.

    I don't know if anyone has thanked you for "letting us in" to your life, but thank you! Your strength is amazing - you are an inspiration.

    In Christ's Love,
    Nicole Petty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know having Dr. Paolicchi following will provide you much more comfort. She knows her stuff and is a "take charge" type of person. Prayers for you all and Lettie's complete and total healing!

    PS - how is the white count?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is so good that you have one person to deal with instead of so many different ones. Dr. Paolicchi sounds like the very person to take the best care of Lette. Love and prayers for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have been following your blog for several weeks now and pray for your family and Lettie many times each day. Our daughter, Felicia, went to school with Mark. You will continue to be in our prayers.
    The Barker's....Dan and Sue Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Summer, it was so great to read your words today and hear the "upbeatness" to your tone...I am really amazed at your tireless faith. And your brain seems to be so organized even after so many anxious and sleepless days and nights. You are an AWESOME mom! It is obvious that the strength of the Holy Spirit is filling your cup again and again. You probably know this already, but I am an OT at UT and I have just been so frustrated for you and Mark about all the different doctors. This is our patient's and their families number 1 complaint....tons of doctors, so little information. I had a little heart party for you when I heard about your regular doctor taking over the coordination of the care (I hope I read this right) and social work getting involved. This is all GREAT news and I pray you have less frustrations (at least in this area) ahead of you! I am continuously praying for Lettie, Mark, you, Jack, and Cooper. Specifically praying for NO seizures and continued improvement with her rehab efforts. Also, if you think about it, let us know what time your care management meeting is tomorrow so we can be praying for strength, clarity of mind, peace, patience and understanding during that time! Lettie looks sooo much better in the pictures! She is such a precious little girl and she's amazingly strong too! "Fearfully and wonderfully made"! (Chad and Jessica Lange)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy to hear the positive news today. I continue to pray for little Lettie, and you and Mark.I know God will continue to give you and your husband the strength you need to get through this. Praying that Lettie will have a peaceful seizure-free night. Praying you as well will have a restful nights sleep. Your sweet girl has touched so many hearts and you guys have so many people praying for you. Be at peace and know that the Lord will take care of your entire family, especially little Lettie. Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praise God for what he is doing! Still praying for continued improvement for Lettie and for you a restful night, strength, and a clear mind for the conference tomorrow. Will continue to pray until this baby is healed completely!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praying for you today Summer as you have your care conference. I hope you get answers to your questions. I also pray that Lettie has a great day today.

    ReplyDelete