Thursday, July 22, 2010

Settling in...


Sorry I'm posting so late but it has been an "adventurous" day for us. We left Vandy at 8:45 central time today and got a little lost in Atlanta. The address the EMT put into the GPS wasn't the right one so we got a little side-tracked. I had to ride in the front of the ambulance and the EMT rode in the back with Lettie. She was in her car seat which was attached to the strecher. The facility here is nice and pretty new. We are in a separate wing from the rest of the hospital and all of the 3rd floor is dedicated to rehab. The people are nice and I know this is where we need to be for Lettie, but I don't really like it. Honestly, I just think I'm a little depressed. It's so hard to go through all this; complications, moving, changing routines. It's just hard and I just want her to get better and go home. The doctor and nurse practitioner came in to go over her history and I get the feeling we're going to be here for awhile. She just isn't the same Lettie and it breaks my heart to know she may never be the same. She always looks so sad and I rarely see a smile. Feeding is still a struggle and with so many meds that adds to the difficulty. Our room is ok and the furniture is more comfortable so that's a plus. We got our schedule for tomorrow and we have something from 8:30- 3:30 with only an hour for lunch and an hour for a nap between 2 and 3. They give you your schedule at the end of the day to let you know where to be and what time. They measured her for a wheelchair because they don't want us carrying her to and from the gyms for safety reasons. Tomorrow is mostly evals but apparently that is what everyday will look like for us for awhile, 7 days a week. Please pray I will be at peace with this transition. It's good that we've finally made it here, but I think I'm fearful of what will happen here. I pray God pulls out some amazing miracles and she improves greatly and rapidly, but in the back of my mind I think of what we may never get back. The wheelchair has hit me hard, just never thought we would need one of those and hopefully it's only for here, but I realize how delayed Lettie is and I know this is going to be a long road. Continue to pray so hard for return of blood flow and movement. I will get used to it here, it's just something new and different and I just want everything to be like it used to and to stop crying about everything. Today has been hard, I'll admit it, but I'm gonna suck it up and quit whining! At least we're finally here, right!

28 comments:

  1. Summer,
    I'm praying for you, Lettie and the rest of your family as often as I think of you--which is pretty often. I know this must be so difficult for you, but remember God is in control. There are thousands of people aware of your situation and when he does miracles--which he will--it will build the faith of all of us. Take care and get some rest for tomorrow.
    Emilie Denson (Jenna's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer we are praying for you and for Lettie. God Bless your heart, I will say the most powerful prayer I can tonight just for you. Take care sweetie it will be alright God is in control and He is carrying you thur this. Love you guys. Susie and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of you & Lettie all day. I'm glad you finally made it down ok. Change is hard, but think of this like the ambulance ride. Lettie's just gotten a little side-tracked right now. God knows the road ahead and he will drive you to safety. There may be a detour or two along the way, or it may be a straight & smooth. I pray daily for God's amazing grace to touch Lettie with His grace. He is doing amazing things through her. She is truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer, WE have been thinking and praying for u all day. I had to go somewhere and Iguess u arrived while I was gone b/c my husband had to call and tell me! My aunt that was at Scottiah Rite with her baby said when she was there surgery and the cancer ward were all on the 2nd floor where u are. A little girl 4n or 5 was across the hall with a tramatic brain injury she lost the use of her right side but they told her the human brain in a child under 6 will take ove r the function of the other side. She had avery long rode to recovery but a few years later she say her walking, running, talking, laughing and acting like anormal little girl. She says to tell u this was 15 years ago at that very hospital,and she knows there have been tremendous leaps in medical ability. The mother of the little girl let anyone know what was going on and told the nurses to answer questions about her b/c she wanted everyone to pray for her. So, we know MIRICLES DO HAPPEN,and have at that hospital. We are praying for all of you. My doctor has recently told me I may need a wheelchair, and Andy Buchanan said the perfect thing "There are way worse things in the world than getting around without pain." it really changed my veiw of awheelchair. Love The Laceys

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be okay Summer. You are a wonderful mom and Lettie is where she needs to be. There are literally thousands of people praying for her...she is going to have a story to tell someday!!! We love you and really wish there was something we could do to help you somehow. For now, I will just keep the 2,800+ prayer group going (me and my dozens of new friends!) and we will keep rooting for Lettie Bug!!! And for you too!!!

    Much love,
    Scott and Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer, I wish I could somehow take your pain away; I feel it even through your words posted! I am praying that you will find peace, rest. Lettie is going to be fine & when she is, what a story she'll have! God has a plan; we must be still and wait on HIM.

    What sweet pictures of the 3 sleeping in Lettie's bed :)
    Penny Parker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer,
    You dont know me but I went to school with Scott and to Church with the wonderful Britton family for many years. I saw some post made by Angie on her face book page and quickly found my way to your blog. I began reading it right after Lettie got out of surgery and I have been faithfully reading it every night before I go to bed.

    Please know that Lettie and your family are in my prayers everyday several times a day.

    Thank you so much for sharing your families story with all of us, and allowing us to share her story with others who can lift her up in prayer.

    Cindy Mason Winder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer, I am sure you have a heavy heart, with the knowledge you might be there a while & all the complications and Lettie not being herself. But I truly believe God is going to still heal her. Please try to get some rest if you can & know we are not going to stop praying for this sweet baby or any of you & think of you all day & several times a night. We love u. LeaAnne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a BLESSING...yes it has taken a little longer than expected but thats ok, right? At least you are there now. It will get better when you get into your schedule and you see Lettie start improving. Good luck with the first day tomorrow, sounds like it will be busy. We love and miss you guys,
    Charlie & Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer, God loves you and Lettie. I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with you on this journey of recovery for Lettie. I pray the Holy Spirit will keep your spirits high. I know you and Lettie have so much to show the people at Scottish Rite about God's love. Don't underestimate the power you have to show that love just by your example. We don't know each other but through your blog I feel as though I know your soul. You have such a strong faith to share with so many. I am part of Lettie's prayer group and I know it is so much bigger than 2800. I have so many friends and family praying for Lettie that have not joined the group.I am just one person. I am sure all of the others have asked many to pray too. I am praying and offering up small sacrifices for Lettie's miracle. Karen Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer,
    I think I know exactly how you're feeling, thinking that you've lost the old, familiar Lettie and she's different now. My husband had brain cancer and had to have brain surgery to remove the tumor. His surgeon had warned us that he could lose his sight, speech, be paralyzed, or possibly not make it through the surgery at all. He did make it through the surgery w/o losing his sight or speech or being paralyzed, but he seemed so different afterwards. He wouldn't smile at all, as much as we would try to get him to, and if he did, it almost seemed like he was just doing it because he knew I was worried about him and wanted him to smile so badly. He hardly spoke at all, and he seemed like he was just in a daze most of the time. I cried so much during that time, thinking that he would never be the same again. It did take awhile for him to start acting more like himself, but eventually he did start smiling again, and talking, and laughing. He had been through so much with all the radiation treatments directed right at his brain, and then the brain surgery itself, it's no wonder that he was out of it for quite a while. I feel so strongly that God is going to heal little Lettie and make her as good as new. He has his hand on her right now. I'll continue to pray for her to be able to eat, to have full movement and feeling on her left side,for the bloodflow to be restored to the thalamus, and that she will continue to be seizure-free. My prayer for you is that God will just fill you with peace. God has a plan for Lettie and he will take care of her. Try not to worry.I pray that you can rest easy tonight.
    Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete
  12. It't will be ok now, Lettie made it this far for a reason. You just keep your spirits up and take care of yourself Lettie needs you strong and healthy along with Jack and Cooper. Love and Prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We like everyone else are praying hard for you all and for a quick recovery. I personally praying for that, but this morning more and more I am praying that Lettie's smiles will return. Along with that I am praying for peace through all the changes. Better days are coming, just gotta stay strong, and when you are not God will provide someone who is for you to lean on.

    Much love and prayers,
    Chris S

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer,

    Colette will get better it will take time. You just have to be strong. Your time will be so busy that before you know it you and Colette will be back home. Your have trained people that will help Colette get the care she needs. If you need anything for your room let us know. We can come and spend time with you if you needs us. That smile will come back. Colette will be im my prayers today and forever.

    Love,

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  15. God is good. You've said so yourself. If you want me to believe it, you've got to keep believing it, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saying a prayer for you and your family! May God grant your little one peace and comfort today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Summer...

    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they WILL NOT sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you WILL NOT be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
    -Isaiah 43:2-3

    ReplyDelete
  18. praying....patti b. knoxville

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for you and your family. You are in a wonderful facility. They are so prepared to help Lettie move forward....God will be their guide!!! After all he is the GREAT PHYSICIAN!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Little by little the beaver builds his dam, and so will Lettie build her strength. I know these steps seem so slow. I know it is so hard to keep your spirit light. You all will overcome these obstacles, and when the "dam is built" you will look back and see the miracles. They are happening all the time, every minute. His hand is on her recovery and on all of you as you go through this with her; you will be strong, you will adjust to this new place, you will survive and Lettie WILL walk.
    Love you guys so much!
    Tami Britton Barber (Mark's cousing)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Summer this was my devotion today and it gave me chills...I feel like this scripture is just for you...May you be encouraged today sister...Northstar family are fervantly praying!
    xoxo
    Kim & Anthony Brewer



    July 23, 2010

    Keep Looking to Jesus

    Let us run with patient endurance & steady & active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us, looking away (from all that will distract) to Jesus…Just think of Him…so that you may not grow weary or exhausted, losing heart & relaxing & fainting in your minds. Hebrews 12: 1-3 (Amplified Bible)

    It doesn’t take any special talent to give up, lay down on the side of the road of life and say I quit! Any believer can do that.

    But once you get a hold of Jesus – or more accurately, He gets hold of you – He begins to pump strength, energy, & courage into you, & something strange & wonderful begins to happen. He won’t let you quit!

    You may say, “Oh Lord, I don’t want to go on anymore”. But he won’t let you give up, even if you want to. So keep looking to Jesus & follow his example. When you do, you will keep pressing on no matter what comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hang in there Summmer. You have made it this far and there are miracles to come. Keep your faith in God and we will come through for you, Lettie and yor family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praying soo hard for things to get better and soon. I can't imagine how hard it is to be away from home for this long knowing that you are still going to be away for quite some time. I just pray for strength for you Summer. I know it must be so hard not to see Lettie's beautiful smile or glimpse of happiness in her face. I believe so strongly that things are going to improve rapidly while you are in Atlanta! I am so excited to see what God has instore for Lettie there! I am praying so hard today that you all have a great day, no seisures, great improvement in the movement of her left side, and blood flow to the thalamus. Everything WILL get better and I truly believe it will be soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Mark and Summer - My heart is absolutely breaking as I read your post. Tears fall from my eyes as I read your words. I am so very sorry for all that you are going through and most importantly, what little Lettie is having to endure. You are such a testimony to God's love and grace. He is working in you and it is easy to see. God is using you all to shine his glory for all to see. Stay steadfast in your faith...you will be rewarded. God knew all was to come and all that is to come, but He will never leave your side. When you hurt, He hurts. He created each of you and knows you inside and out. Never forget that. You are special...Lettie is special. Lettie is a blessing to my heart and so are you. You remind me that we are here on this earth...breathing so that He may be glorifed and praised. Angels surround your sweet girl at all times. I am convinced that God takes extra special care of the children.

    Thank you for allowing your light to shine brightly for Him, even in your time of worry, sorrow and anxiousness. God may have moved you to Atlanta so that a lost doctor or nurse may experience and see your faith and allow Lettie to bless their hearts just as she did the doctor who asked everyone to leave so that you could pray together. You are definitely there for a reason. Hang in there...there is power in prayer and you have many, many prayer warriors lifting you up. Praise be to the Lord for His Son Jesus Christ dying on that cross!!

    You are in my heart and my prayers.

    Sincerely,

    Heather (Chunn) Grady

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is the 23rd. 22 years today since my mom passed awway. Now, I expect something grand today. I would like for it to be through Lettie Bug. Can't help but feel like I know you all. I know Scott and Mary. You all seem like family. At my office we laugh and praise God every time Lettie Bug does good. When she is down we cry and pray. Hang in it won't be long. God iis working, and in his time. Praise God I copied the picture in the chair to replace the one we have on our office wall. She looksso uc better. C.Lankford

    ReplyDelete
  26. Summer
    Hang in there... You are strong and God has a plan for you and knows all of you by name. The jouney is never easy but it is worth it. We love you and we are in constant prayer for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just take it one day at at time....I believe that Lettie is going to be her "old self" again soon! I can only imagine that being away from Jack, Coop, and Mark is very distressing, but when you look back in a year and Colette is seizure free and all smiles, these couple of months are going to seem so short and distant! I continue to pray for healing and for your patience and hope...Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't imagine how hard it is to have so many things changing constantly.
    You are so strong! Just because you feel uneasy, uncomfortable and often sad does not mean you are lacking strength. Praying for a blessing of peace.

    ReplyDelete