Well, this is my first post as a "blogger." I have decided to start this as way to keep everyone in touch with our constantly busy lives. As most of you know, Colette's seizures have returned to a daily basis. She will have one really hard seizure every day, then sleep for several hours, and eventually return to her "normal" self. This is no way to live and we have known the meds aren't working and surgery is a likely outcome. We recently traveled to Detroit to meet with Dr. Harry Chugani ( the guru on infantile spasms) and Colette had an FMZ PET scan which gave us more detailed info about her damaged brain. He gave us his opinion which we then took to our neurologist at Vanderbilt which took it to the pediatric surgical board and here where are... Today we met with our neurosurgeon, Dr. Pearson, who was very confident in his surgical recommendations for Colette.
He suggests that we do a functional hemispherectomy and remove the right side of her brain. The surgery will be 6-8 hr. long. They will cut only the hair around the incision ( so we won't lose many of her beautiful curls!) and they will remove her temporal & parietal lobes. They will leave her frontal & occipital lobes for spacing purposes but these lobes will be "disconnected" and of no real use to her. She will be in ICU for 2-3 days post-surgery to keep a check on her fluids and bleeding. She will likely need a blood transfusion as well. She will then move to a normal room for 1-2 days and then hopefully go home. They will use plastic tabs to reconnect her skull and dissolveable sutures so there is no metal in her skull. His coordinator will call me in a few days to schedule the surgery and he said it will probably happen in 2-3 weeks. It will definitely be on a Tue. cause that's his long day for the OR.
So it's taken a year and five months to get here! This is hopefully the resolution we have been praying for to stop our Lettie bugs seizures. He told us to expect weakness on her left side but wasn't 100% certain she would lose function of her left hand; it's a possibility, but we all miracles can happen. As her mom I pray that a miracle will still happen and she will be as close to a "normal" child as her brother & sister are.
I'm sure as most of you read this it sounds extreme, but please understand every step we have taken with Lettie has been thoughtfully prayed over & never rushed! It's one of those things people say, "you just can't understand it till you've been here" I will continue to post on our steps toward surgery and fill you all in on the rest of my clan. They're all pretty interesting & special as well.
You are in my prayers everynight.
ReplyDeletelove,little JONATHAN and Elin
Beautiful Little Collette, we have never met but is is nice to put such a beautiful little face to all the sweet stories your Aunt Pidge has told me about you. I pray for you and your family every night. Our God loves little children and is going to see you and your family through this. I will check on the blog every day to keep up with you. You look like a little angel even in your mummy suit. With love, your Great Aunt Betsy
ReplyDeleteGood idea putting this on here!! I want to let you guys know Scott and I pray for Colette at least three times a day everyday!! Our lives seem so busy as well and often we forget how much time goes by and we realize we haven't seen you guys or talked to you in a while. But do know we pray every single day...not only for Lettie, but for you, Mark, Jack, and Cooper as well. Can't wait until Lettie and Caroline are able to play and giggle together...that is our greatest wish!!! :-) Scott and Angie
ReplyDeleteI too think the blog is a great idea to keep us all posted. You all are amazing and special. I will keep praying for all of you. It's in His hands.
ReplyDeleteLove, Lisa
Love the blog! Thank you for sharing your life with us. We are always praying for all of you!! LOVE, THE TUCKERS
ReplyDeleteThanks Summer, I'm glad you are doing this. You guys are always in our prayers. Thankful the storm didn't take any lives or cause you all any harm. We love you and will keep up with the surgery through this blog. Our church is continually praying. God Bless.
ReplyDeleteUncle Larry and Aunt Carolyn
We at Hiwassee and at 1st Baptist are keeping you in our prayers during this time of waiting for the surgery. God is good and I believe in miracles!
ReplyDeleteBeth
We are in Haiti right now,so we can't be there for you, but I want you to know that we will be praying for you all today; special prayers of protection and healing. Love Tami and Joe
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear of all of your struggles. I just found your blog today. I had heard your little girl is having surgery at church (Rocky Springs). I will be praying for all of you. God is in control. -Shanna
ReplyDeleteYou all are in my prayers. Praying that God will guide the surgeons as they take care of your precious little girl. Also praying that he wraps arms of comfort around Colette's family. I can't wait to see the post of her progress on your blog.
ReplyDeleteSarah Price Amos
Love you guys and you are all in out prayers.
ReplyDeleteCheryl and Jeff Ambrister
Northstar.
Found out about your amazing family through a Church friend. Just read your story and will start praying for all of you. What an incredible little angel ya'll have and what a fighter!
ReplyDelete