Well, today was a very sad day in our house. We said goodbye to our dear old dog, Schotzy. He would've been 21 in November. It has been a difficult and long road with him for the past year. He took a hard fall right after we moved into our new house in October and really hasn't been the same since. He was mostly blind and deaf and has been wearing diapers now for months. He seemed very confused most of the time and just wandered around the house or slept, not much quality of life left. However, physically he just kept going. He ate like a horse but never seemed to gain weight, he looked like a bony dinosaur and he frequently had really bad nose bleeds. Mark has had Schotzy since he was 12 so to say today was hard on Mark is an understatement. Mark and I have often discussed having him put to sleep, but neither of us would really "man up" and do it or schedule the appt. This weekend though the discussion was brought up again and we talked about if we were just keeping him alive for our own good and if he would be more at peace being put to sleep. Mark threw out Tuesday for some reason and said he thought it would be best if his dad took him and I agreed. I know I couldn't do it either. Schotzy has been a part of my life now for about 11 years and when Mark & I first married he was like my baby and slept in bed on the pillow with me for years. So today, Paul took him to the vet and he is now resting peacefully. Paul had made him a casket and buried him in our backyard for us. What an amazing father in law I have to do all the dirty work for us, most of the time. I know this had to be emotional on him as well, 20 years is a long, long time to have a pet. He was such a good dog and very smart and we will miss him terribly. Dogs are so amazing in that no matter what kind of day your having they're always there to love you endlessly and he was just that. Jack was so precious in his prayers tonight and as always prayed for Lettie and then closed with, " I pray that Schotzy will have a good day with you God in heaven." Oh, the heart of child, so sweet, innocent, and pure.
What a year this is turning out to be for the Britton's again. For those who knew us last year, it wasn't much easier. I always like to tell about our year in our Christmas card and last year I had to type an extra page to fit it all in. Mostly about Lettie's seizures starting and Mark had a couple of medical issues himself that didn't go as planned.... imagine that with our luck! Well life will get easier to handle and we take it day by day. God still gets the glory in the end for us and we love Him tremendously. Lettie's urine test yesterday was normal, Amen to that! So no more UTI and we are still seizure free... 44 days and counting. Tomorrow will mark the longest we've ever been without a seizure so prayer warriors get on those knees and keep us lifted up!
So sorry about your sweet dog. We lost our sweet Gabby about 7 years ago and I can't bring myself to get another b/c it hurt so badly losing her. She was 12 1/2 years old and had a number of things wrong with her including cancer.We also buried her in our backyard. On a lighter note, so glad that Lettie's infection is gone and she's still seizure free. I'm still praying for that sweet girl!
ReplyDeleteValerie Allen
Rob and I know how special he was to you... So sorry. Laura
ReplyDeletePrayer Warriors reporting for duty! Very sorry to hear about the lose of your dog. I totally understand where you all are at with that. Still praying and great news about the tests. Keep digging Lettie you are doing awesome, all glory to God!
ReplyDeleteSize :)
Praying....Patti B.
ReplyDeleteSummer, I know how hard that was going to be for you guys but like you said, he's resting peacefully now. Still praying for more progress for Lettie and for all of you. We love you guys.LeaAnne Dollar
ReplyDelete21 years is not just saying something about the dog but it speaks volumes about the care and love he got from Mark and then from you and then the kids, too! You gave a sweet spirit quite a life and then had the strength to set it free. Hugs to all of you from your Florida peeps. Here's a link to a poem that has helped me each time I've gone through this (just a week ago the last time): http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
ReplyDeleteMark and Summer, I'm so sorry that you had to let Schotzy go. I can only imagine how hard it was for you both. But it sounds like you made the right decision. And now he's in Heaven watching over all of you.
ReplyDeleteIt was really nice seeing you on Monday. Lettie looks great and Summer you seem to be in a really good place. You are truely an inspiration to all of the Mother's reading your blog.
Praise God for the normal urine test, but mostly for the 44 days of being seizure free! What a milestone for Lettie and your family. Take care, Candi
I'm so sorry about your little dog. They really can be like a part of the family and I know it might just feel like that "one more thing" you are having to try to deal with it and juggle. On a happier note though- YEA for no UTI!! And 44 days seizure free for Lettie.. oh my goodness.. that is such an unbelievable gift and mercy. Lord, I pray that you would continue to stand in the way of seizures for sweet Lettie. Thank you Lord for showing yourself strong to save her. Please Jesus wash her brain with the power of your blood to continue to redeem her brain to abundant life. -My friend sent me this little blip from her Experiencing God devotional and I immediately wanted to pass it along to you bc I think it will encourage your heart.
ReplyDelete(..."Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mark 11:24)
This verse is sometimes used to teach a name-it-and-claim--it theology. You decide what you want. You name your request and claim it's yours. That is a self-centered theology. Remember that only God takes the initiative. He gives you the desire to do His will. His Holy Spirit guides you to pray according to God's will. The God-centered approach is to allow God to lead you to pray according to His will--in the name and character of Jesus. Believe that what He has led you to pray, He Himself will bring to pass. Then continue praying in faith and watching for it to come to pass... )
Summer,
ReplyDeleteI am so sure today was a hard one for all of you. I know how pets can become one of the family. So true like you said in your post oh how life can change in an instant! We have got to live each day one day at a time - praying for Lettie to remain seizure free. Wishing you all happy thoughts!
Nikki