Sunday, August 1, 2010

Weekend Update

This was a good weekend spent with family. My mom & my aunt Donna came to visit on Saturday and brought Jack & Coop with them. They arrived at the end of our therapy sessions on Saturday and got to see Lettie in action for a little bit. Mark & I then went to eat with Jack & Coop and run a few errands and then we decided to stay the night with them. My cousin, Aaron, lives here in Atlanta and is only like 15 minutes from the hospital and he has been so kind to offer us a place to stay when needed, so that's where we stayed Saturday night. Today my mom & aunt took Lettie to all her therapies and got the joy of feeding her the delicious keto food she has to eat. I'm not sure if I ever explained the diet clearly or just mentioned it so I will give you an example: 7 grams of pureed eggs, 23 grams of peaches & 17 grams of pure butter; 10 of Gerber chicken, 20 grams of applesauce & 15 grams of butter. The diet is low in carbs & high in fats. Her snack is usually applesauce & canola oil. On the keto diet you eat very, very small portions with lots of butter or oil which to me usually overpowers the taste of the food. She drinks about 2-3oz of a keto formula because you can't drink milk. We continue to struggle daily with the feeding. She was always a picky eater and this makes it even harder when you only have certain things you can feed her. The diet is very strict and you cannot deviate from it at all. For example, she cannot have one extra morsel of something that isn't on her menu for the day or it could throw her ketone levels off.
Other than struggling with the diet, she seems to be improving every day. She is more alert and her eye contact is improving as well. Her left side movement continues to be intermittent, but at least we have seen some! My mom & aunt took her on a little shopping spree in the gift shop downstairs and got her an adorable flower hat and new toys. They enjoyed spending time with her & I enjoyed spending some time with the other two! I wish I could share some pics with you all when Lettie is working so hard but we aren't allowed to take any photos in the gym or during any therapy sessions. Tomorrow starts back to a busy week and hopefully continued improvement. I want to thank everyone who has been specifically praying for Lettie's feeding issues. Today she took her bottle quicker and easier than in the past and I know we owe it all to answered prayers from God. We are grateful for all those who continue to keep us lifted up and saturated in daily prayers. We still need all we can get. I can't believe it's been over a month since this whole process started and to think we thought we'd be home in 4 or 5 days post-op. Just goes to show how God is always in the drivers seat even when you think you are.

11 comments:

  1. I am still praying for God's complete healing for Lettie. Jesus I Trust in You. Karen Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys just asked me if I'd checked "Lettie's blog"before they go to bed. We are SO thankful Lettie's improving! Left sided movement,more alert,improved eye contact...Lord we thank You! We're praying for improved po intake,wisdom for dietician,& continued improvement in Lettie's ability to suck her bottle.We are praying for y'all & asking God to bless Lettie w/a miraculous & complete healing. SO glad Summer that you got a break from the exhausting therapy schedule & some time w/Mark-aka world's Best Husband : ),Jack & Cooper OUT of the hospital! (Lettie should get a package tomorrow.We were hoping it would arrive yesterday while Jack & Cooper were there!) With Love & Prayers~Lisa C

    ReplyDelete
  3. You started my day off on a good note with such good news on Letties recovery.I'm sure there will be many more good reports coming.Just know you are still in our prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're not going to stop praying! So glad ya'll had a good weekend! God is so good! Hang in there! Love you guys, Juli

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just able to read your post from Thursday. I had lifted Lettie up in prayer on Wednesday night and our whole church (First Baptist Benton, AR) prayed for her. I hesitated because I don't even know you guys but you are a friend of a friend. The Lord led me to ask for prayers for you all and He did not let us down...To God be the glory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Lettie girl go! Still praying for you all!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Summer, as long as you let God stay in the driver's seat you know you'll be going in the right direction! He never gets lost or off track! Will continue to pray for the feeding issues. So glad Lettie is doing better and that you get to spend some time with Mark,Jack and Cooper. I'm sure it helps just to get away for a little while and knowing that Lettie is in good hands with family. She looks like the picture of health in her little flower hat. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer, So glad you had a well-deserved weekend. I know it was great being with all your family. We are so encouraged with Lettie's progress and still praying. Just keep letting us know exactly what you want us to pray for. Made a new request for prayer on Sunday, so more Prayer Warriors are praying. Love you guys,
    Windy & Sue Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondeful. Our God is great. Summer you inspire me so much. I am drawing strength from you. I thank God for christian Mothers. My 3yr asked me the other day Mom who is this Lettie girl you keep asking God to put his hands around! I started telling her now everytime she prays she says the same thing, even if she is asking the blessing over our food. I am glad God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so touched by Mark's post on Friday! I too am amazed at how God knows what we need better than we do. I am fervently asking God to rewire Lettie's brain to do exactly what she needs to live a life that will bring Him glory! I know that your blog and testimony are a large portion of that and I am so thankful for your open sharing and your transparency. You are not alone, the Body of Christ is standing with you believing for small miracles every day and God being mighty at work in your lives as well as ours! God is good!
    Leslie Watkins Stephens
    McMinnville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that you guys had a great weekend. Happy that Lettie is improving. Will continue to pray that her diet will get better. Little Lettie sure looks cute in her hat!
    Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete