Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jack's first day of First Grade



Today was Jack's first day back to school. It was just a half day so it wasn't so bad. He on the other hand wasn't really excited to get back into the old patterns of school- waking up early, homework, etc. At least we started the morning off right with the breakfast of champions...McDonalds cinnamelt! He had some mixed emotions about today. He seemed like he liked it at first but then told me all he did was work, work, work. I think he was a little disappointed that the centers in first grade aren't quite as "fun" as the ones in kindergarten. The biggest obstacle Jack is going to have to overcome is his 7 hour school day. He's really struggling with the thought of being in school that long. I'm sure he'll start to enjoy it more and more each day. His personality doesn't really handle change well at first. It takes him some time to adjust and then he ends up doing fine.
   Lettie is doing ok. She is still not eating. Surprise, surprise! She stayed the night with Mary & Paul last night and tonight because Coop has been running a low grade fever the past two nights. Coop acts fine, just keeps getting these temps at night and we don't want Lettie anywhere close. Lettie will be back in the morning for me to take her to therapy and Paul's gonna watch Coop. It'll be so nice to be back at Methodist and see our therapists. It's been so long and I know they're excited to see Lettie as well. We went to see Dr. Blevins yesterday, our pediatrician, and he was impressed with how she looked. She weighed 22 lbs. so it's good she hasn't lost any weight with these new eating habits she has! Dr. B and some of the nurses circled up and prayed with us before we left the office. Once again God has provided us with a wonderful and supportive team to join us on this journey. 
   Paul, Mark's dad, told me yesterday that a friend of his wanted him to tell me to always remember "I'm too blessed to be depressed." I couldn't agree more. Now I just have to remember to live my life that way and allow God's blessings to shine through me and not the little things that try to get me down. 

8 comments:

  1. We are so glad to hear everything is going well. Im sure Jack will do fine in school once he gets adjusted, he is such a sweet lil boy. We continue to pray through-out the day for you all & let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Sean-Julie-Hunter & Brody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, Jack is such a cute kid. My second grader was excited about his school supplies and not excited about going to school. They (boys) just want to have fun! I am still praying for you and Lettie. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Karen Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer,
    Jack looks excited in his pic to be heading off to school. He'll get used to it before you know it. I'm still praying for little Lettie. Also, hoping her therapy goes well tomorrow. Cooper needs to get rid of that temp so you guys can be all together again. Give Lettie a hug and tell her that she's still got so many people praying for her. God is good!
    Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete
  4. "..Im too blessed to be depressed.."
    WOW!! Summmer, you are amazing! Your faith is so beautiful and I know it is reaching people's hearts for the kingdom of Christ. I can't tell you how elated and overjoyed I was to see the story of your homecoming. Proverbs 3:33 says He BLESSES the home of the righteous I pray it over your home now! Oh Lord please continue to pour out more and more blessings to WIPE AWAY fear or pain by your gracious hand! I pray you will forever find yourself "too blessed to be depressed". Our God has been so favorable to you. I pray He showers down amazing progression in Lettie's abilities by His power and that He gives her a ravenous appetite. Great news that her weight has been maintained. The Lord does not need food to give her the growth she needs, His hand waving over her will provide all the growth she needs. Phew, what a journey. Partnering with you in faithful, undoubting prayers for healing.. and p.s. Those bloomers.. oh my gracious- so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer we love the recent photos of Lettie & Jack. I hope Coop's fever goes away fast. Still praying for all of you & for Lettie to eat & regain all strength & focus back. You have blessed my life over & over. We love you all. LeaAnne Dollar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for keeping us posted. I know you must be so busy all the time and you are so gracious to think of those of us who love and pray for Lettie and the rest of the family. We are continuing to pray for Lettie's healing and God's blessings on you all. Our best from Nashville. Love, Sue Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Summer,

    Jack looks so handsome with his backback! Jamie started 2nd grade this year. We really had to adjust to 1st grade too. It took Jamie awhile to adjust to the work in class (getting it done without being distracted) and it was also the 1st year with weekly homework. After some melt downs and tears (me included) we finally got in the grove. He'll do great but I can relate with the diff from Kindergarten:)
    Lettie looks great! I hope to see you guys at church soon. We were home too last week with low grade fevers and a gi bug (bleh!) seems to be going around now, hope Lettie can steer clear.
    If you ever want to chat about school just let me know, I'm no expert but did just live thru 1st grade with a social butterfly, lol
    Beverly Sharp

    ReplyDelete