Thursday, August 5, 2010
Discharge date is set
Well, our case manager told us this afternoon that we are looking at a discharge date of next Thursday. We would get to head home around 9 or 9:30 that morning. This is so bittersweet for me because I'm so anxious to get back home and readjust to that life I used to have, but a little scared to leave my 6 week sanctuary of a hospital setting. I have 24 hour protection here if something goes wrong or I need help. As crazy as it may sound, I have a feeling it's going to take me some time to adjust to being home. I'm already on an emotional rollercoaster here and I can only imagine it will be just the same at home for awhile ( guess I better not forget to take my lexapro, huh?!). Some good news is that our PT here thinks our stroller we have will work just fine and we won't need to order a kiddie kart like we've been using here. In other news, I have decided tonight that I'm DONE with the keto diet! I hate it with a passion and can longer force Lettie to eat this way. Now, I haven't been able to share this news with the doctors yet, but plan to in the morning. I talked to Mark tonight about this and he agrees. We struggle with every meal and have tried option after option and she doesn't like any of them and not only does the food not taste good to her but then we have to add her meds which make it worse. I've tried adding sweet 10 and she still won't take the food that well. We can't use flavors in the meds because that adds sugar, which you can't have on the diet. So my huge prayer request for tonight is that it will be easy to wean off this keto diet and that her seizures WON'T return once we wean off. Please dear God, don't let the seizures come back! We are prepared if they return and the keto was what was helping then we will have to put a G tube in and feed her that way. That is another surgery to put the tube in her stomach, but if we have to go back to the diet that will likely be the best option to get the food in her. Please understand that I am not making this decision on heated emotions from struggling tonight to get her food and meds in her. I have prayed to make this diet easier on Lettie and us and these last four weeks have not been easy at all and don't seem to be getting any better. I am not anti-keto, although I know it sounds that way, I'm just anti-keto with Lettie! This diet works for many people and has amazing results but I can no longer fight this battle feeding Lettie. We have four meals a day to get in her and she fights us with all of them . It takes two people to feed her and it's unrealistic to think that we will always have 4 hands available at home to feed her and I also have to take into consideration that I have two other kids at home that need attention as well. Pray that it will be easy to wean off the keto diet and that seizures will not return, EVER!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Praying hard for this right now!! And I will continue to!! You and Mark know what's best for Lettie and you all deserve a chance to make a decision about this subject!!!!
ReplyDeleteSummer,
ReplyDeleteYOU know your daughter. Do what your heart tells you to do. Just think of all the progress she has made in other ways. A mother knows her child like no one else. We will keep you in our prayers. God is with you and smiling. He knows you are great parents and blessed you with 3 beautiful children. Be secure in knowing that God will be with you on your travels home and when you get there. You have a wonderful support system. Love to you. Angela Seaton
As my pediatrition (spelling) always says, "Mama knows best.) Julie
ReplyDeleteSummer, you need to feel confident in your decision. You are doing what you think is best for her. We are praying hard for all of you. We love you all. LeaAnne Dollar
ReplyDeleteSo glad you all will be coming home soon!!! Praying that there will be NO MORE Seizures!!!! Lettie needs all the calories she can get in her to make her strong. If she is not eating on the keto diet, then you are absolutely making the right decision. Stick to your guns with the docs tomorrow. Follow your heart because you know the Lord is leading you to do the things that are right for Lettie. All our love and prayers going out to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI only know a glimpse of how hard meds can be just trying to get some bad tasting lortab in my daughter after a tonsilectomy was so stressful. I can't imagine the thought of having to battle it everyday with no end in sight. Praying that God will keep Lettie's seizures away as you do what is best for your family!
ReplyDeleteI can not imagine what you and your family are going through. My prayers are with you and Lettie. I wait everyday for posts about her. You are very strong and it makes me proud to know that you are continuing to keep the faith and stick with Lettie through all of this. My prayers are with you and I will continue to think about you and your family! Please keep the info coming. And let me not forget to congratulate you on her improvement! :) God Bless!!!
ReplyDeletePraying to GOD that Lettie will do GREAT coming off the keto diet and that the seizures will NEVER return. Great news to hear home is in the near future. Lettie looks good in the pictures and rockin' a COOL vest!
ReplyDeleteJeremy
I know you have been through what would be seemingly impossible for anyone without faith in God. Lettie has put people on their knees that haven't been there in a long time. I feel that your and Letties struggles may have brought many souls back to God and I know a steady diet of home and family, along with the prayers and the wonder working hand of God, cannot be a bad thing for Lettie. Do not cross bridges before you come to them, God has promised to keep his arm around us and whatever might happen, He will be there, He has promised us that. Just put everything in God's hands and he will instruct you in whatever you must do when you get home. I know how helpless you must have felt at times and I know what it's like to get so down that you can't even pray but God understands all that and does not want you to ever feel guilty about anything that is his will. Lean into that arm that's around you for the strength you need. Dan L. Cook Madisonville
ReplyDeleteSummer, You have our family's prayers for Lettie. We pray that ALL will go well with weaning her off the keto diet and that she will have NO seizures. I also pray that God will uphold YOU and give you peace. You have been so strong and such a faithful caregiver! We are still praying that God will completely heal Lettie's brain and give her full recovery. God bless you all!
ReplyDeleteThe Whitakers
Summer I will pray that God will be with you tomorrow. If you don't try Lettie off the diet you will never know if it is what she needs. It is better to try it now while still in the hospital. If the seizures return, then you make a new decision for Lettie. I will be praying constantly for no seizures. I will also pray for your peace in your decision. Lettie is in God's hands. Karen Carlson
ReplyDeleteSummer,
ReplyDeletePraying that Lettie will be able to be weaned off the keto diet w/ no problems whatsoever. Also praying that she will never experience another seizure in her lifetime. I am still praying for sweet Lettie to have a full and complete healing. She has come so far already, who's to say she can't go all the way! She's in God's hands, and He most certainly has a plan for her. I pray for peace, comfort, and encouragement for you all. Love you, Lettie.
Valerie Allen
I don't know you personally, but I've been in prayer for you and your family for about a month, since I first saw the posts on FB. I pray God will grant you peace and a season of stability and rest from the journey you've been on. I pray God will stregthen little Lettie and keep her seizures at bay. I pray you can lay your head down when you come home and truly get a night's sleep without the beeps and vital checks and everything else that goes on in that hospital room. You are on my mind and heart.
ReplyDeleteGod bless...
praying....Patti Brown, Knoxville
ReplyDeleteSo normal to be anxious.....have you been able to take her outside for a stroll there?..just something like that might be good to build your confidence as like you said all of your mothering has been inside a hospital walls.
ReplyDeleteI hope they are receptive to diet changes and you would have almost a week on change before coming home.
When you get home, please let us know if you want someone to just sit with Colette while you do something else. Never told you but I am a nursing school dropout.....and after 30 day w/ Anna in NICU and then return with pertusis for 3 weeks as a premie.....I have dealt with some really delicate and involved medical issues..want to help you and would love to.
A mothers heart knows her child, just as God the father knows our hearts....HE will hear and answer your prayers. I will pray for you as you go through this change....You will never know if you don't try.
ReplyDeleteSummer, Your Mom and I were there last weekend and had the joy of feeding Lettie. I know what a struggle it was to get the food and meds in her. I pray that God will see her through the decision you have made and she will remain seizure free!! I think it is a good decision to try her on regular foods because otherwise you won't know and she has been through enough to not enjoy her meals.I have seen her several times at Vandy and then last weekend in Atlanta. I was so happy to see the progress she has made! I know she isn't where she was before surgery, but I know God has a miracle in store for her and she will be completly healed in his time. He brought you to it, he will see you through it! You have my total support in your decision, after all Lettie's Mom knows her best!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Donna
We tried the Keto Diet as well. It was not for us for many of the same reasons. It is just unrealistic. It was not hard to stop because it never helped the seizures. My prayers are with you as you work through all this. I know going home will be bittersweet for you all but just know you have God on your side and he will see you through. Things will seem hard at first but eventually you will settle back into life. I pray daily for Lettie and your whole family.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Shawn Oglesby
Our heartfelt prayers are in agreement with you and Mark about Lettie's Keto diet. Ask..seek..and you will find! Our God is so Great! PRAISE AND AMEN!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt did my heart good to talk with you today. I just believe that the keto diet has allowed her body to adjust from surgery and will be ready to go back on a regular diet with no seizures! I have seen it happen!You must remember that the docs, nutritionist etc. are looking at it only from a medical perspective while you have to look at your life as mom, wife, etc. and for Lettie to have a more normal lifestyle even if it meant a G tube. I can't wait to get to work with my precious Colette and have her play in whip cream again!!!! Much love, Nancy
ReplyDelete