Sunday, October 24, 2010

An update on Lettie

So as you can tell from my lack of blogging life is always busy. I wanted to give everyone an update on how Lettie has been lately. She is still seizure free, 15 weeks today! But things aren't moving along as well as we had hoped it would be so prayers are still needed. She recently started startling when she wakes from her naps like she used to do before surgery and it really concerns me. I watch for when she wakes and immediately start talking to her hoping to help calm her and I try to force her to look at me because her eyes want to drift to the upper right corner of her eyes and they twitch a lot. I don't know if she would have a seizure if I wasn't around to calm her or not but I'm frightened that seizures are just around the corner again. As you know, her EEG showed abnormal spiking on the left side, so we are just constantly praying that God will grant her some grace from those returning. Her development has somewhat plateaued in my opinion. She isn't really making any gains with movement, speech, or cognition. The babbling we were hearing more of has now almost completely diminished and the left side movement isn't really any different either. Lettie seems to have no desire or motivation to make gains like sitting up or crawling. Mark and I talked this weekend about how she doesn't really seem to know anything that goes on around her. Don't get me wrong, she is a happy and mostly content child, but I don't think her processing is improving at all.
This absolutely breaks my heart and as transparent as I can be with you all, I am having a very hard time lately with all of this. I find myself getting angry at God for all of this and then crying for forgiveness that at least we don't have seizures. Lettie is just so precious and my heart aches so much for her to have a life where she would be able to enjoy Jack and Coop and run and play with them. I also know all too well, that may not be God's plan for my Lettie and recently that has hit me very hard. Some days just honestly suck! But I try my best to take each day as it comes and pray every moment I get for absolute healing for her.
My other two munchkins are doing well. Coop is still playing soccer and school is going well for her, no trouble yet thank goodness. Jack has finally found some outdoor activities he likes- basketball and biking. He is going to play Upward basketball in November and is loving his new skill of riding a two wheel bike! They are all such great kids and I cannot complain when God has given me such precious treasures to take care of . My friends mother in law gave a book recently called, " Relax, God is in control." She had tagged a page she thought reminded her of my situation and it reads, " I know God will not give me anything that I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." Can I get an Amen to that!

7 comments:

  1. We certainly still pray for Lettie and I will definitely pray for her development and to stay seizure free. I guess you don't know how you would handle a tough situation like this until you are there, but you guys seem to be handling it well (although it sounds like there are bad days and moments); you certainly have the right outlook and know where your strength comes from. Don't feel bad that you get angry sometimes; He made us human! your family is beautiful inside and out! Hope to talk to you soon, call me when you have time! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Glad to see an update from you, I have been thinking of you guys often. We are continuously praying for Lettie and you all every day. I am so sorry to hear that there has not been alot of progress made with Lettie. She is such a precious little girl! We will continue to lift her up in prayer and ask for her to stay seizure free. The pics of all of your children are adorable. At church over the past few weeks are sermons have been about prayer, why pray,how to pray etc. They have so hit home with Jeremy and I b/c I know exactly the anger/frustration/and why?s you are feeling as much Faith as I have in God and his plan - I still get angry too and slowly I am learning that is OK! I will be praying for your strength through it all. Hope you guys have a smooth week!!

    Jeremy, Nikk and Emma Rhae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, I am so happy to hear that sweet Colette is still doing so well!!! I too have had days where I ask God, "Why my child?" But he knows what he's doing so we just need to keep the faith! I also wanted to let you know how much I loved seeing all the pictures of the kids, they all look so happy! Love the story about poor Jack driving home from the beach and laughed so hard when I read about Coop holding her nose. That is SOOO her!! I'm glad you all had a great time and hope to see you soon! Also, Elin is loving all of Lettie's cute little outfits. :)

    Love you guys,
    Jonathan, Stacey, Jonathan and Elin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer, I continue to pray for little Lettie. It's great that she is still seizure free. I pray for her often that she will get full movement back on her left side. I will also pray that she starts responding and talking more. God is always with her and she still has so many people praying for her. God is so good!
    Valerie Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer, trust me when I say that God will not put more on you than you can handle.I lost my seventeen year old in a car accident many years ago,and I lost part of my heart that will never come back, and yes you have to trust God,and with that loss it was hard,but you know he has never give up on me.Colette is strong,are she would not be here.Keep showing her she has something to want to be part of.I will continue to pray for her, and all of you,that you all will never give up.Please keep me posted.
    Love To All,
    Emma Lee Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer,
    Its Shannon, Tristans mommy, from therapy.
    I feel for you, I really do, I often OFTEN question why things are they way they are with Tristan and want so much more for him. I just want you to know that I am always here to be a friend, hang in there, thats all we can do!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen; and God Bless. God's Trust seems like a two edged sword sometimes; but still a precious gift. We will ALL be strong for you all, too..

    ReplyDelete