Saturday, January 22, 2011

New year and finally a new post!

So I guess it's been more than awhile since I've commented on the lives of the Brittons'. Where do I even start... Since my last post Lettie has continued to have seizures, back to daily, sometimes two in a day. They have gradually become more aggressive, just like our pre-surgery seizures so as you can imagine, very disheartening for us. I guess I haven't really posted in awhile cause I just hate talking about these... they seem to be taking up a large chapter, better yet volume, of our lives and I'm just tired of it and honestly angry. Mostly bitter on a daily basis. I'm sure most parents with a special needs child would empathize with how I feel...just crummy most days. This is not at all how I thought things would be post surgery, but I guess it can be best explained as, " God is in control." I will not lie and say that my faith has not tested during these times because it totally has! I don't want you to think I'm asking for sympathy because this is the life God has given to us, the children God has given to Mark and I to raise and we will take this challenge and do the very best we can given the circumstances. I will say to you that I do often yell and cry in the car on the way to therapy when it's just me and Lettie and say life stinks right now and just pray it gets better or that I will learn to handle it better.
We are currently on week 6 of our new med, Lamictal and seizures continue...and actually seem to have gotten more aggressive since our visit in December. We return to Vandy in March and will do another EEG and see what it says. As far as development, nothing really new. She still doesn't talk or crawl or walk and can only sit up on her own for about 20 minutes. She can't really chew like a normal child her age, mostly we mash up food for her like mac n cheese or spaghetti and she still drinks from a bottle. She has some movement from her left shoulder and elbow but nothing functional and doesn't really move her left leg much at all. She is however getting tall and HEAVY! I know this very well because I am her current and full time transportation source everywhere. My back and neck have informed me of her recent growth changes! She is such a sweet baby though and we love her so much. She absolutely adores Jack! She lights up when he kisses and hugs on her. Gotta be thankful for the sweet moments with her.
By the way, we have also re-inherited our old house recently! The family that was supposed to buy it has now moved to a new state and new job so if anyone is interested in a home in West Knoxville let us know! Just another thing to add to the list of unfortunate events in our lives right now! Have I mentioned already how crummy things are right now!

8 comments:

  1. geez, Not the post I was hoping for from you guys...I can only imagine how many times you have heard it (and from me included), but hear it again...God knew two really good parents for Lettie, parents that could provide for her physically, emotionally, financially, and siblings that could love her like no one else on this earth could, and he put her right there in your family where she belongs! You may not have been prepared for it, but he will sustain you,,...in the meantime I will pray for a little relief from the floods. Your Christmas pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, I continue to pray for Lettie, and you and Mark and the kids. You are an inspiration to many people. Keep the faith!

    Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. -- Hebrews 11:1

    Preston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer- we never stop praying for Colette and all of you. It's ok to be angry. You have had amazing faith through all of this. We love you guys- LeaAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally appreciate your honesty in saying it is crummy. You have to be real and not hide behind the christinesse terms sometimes. I will be praying more specifically for your family. The pictures Tracie took are amazing I saw them on her page on FB. She is a sweet sweet gal. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer,

    I am so glad to see your update, we have thought about your family often over the Holidays. I can totally relate to the word CRUMMY and the anger just being a feeling that comsumes you at times (especially in those moments when you are alone and don't have to hold it all together) We pray for Lettie and the strength of your family daily. And what a BEAUTIFUL family it is. I was showing Emma Rhae the picturs and she said Is Lettie not so little anymore? So glad it looks like despite the cards you have been handed you all had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Summer- just was sitting here thinking about you guys and checked into your blog to find you had posted. Thank you for the update. My heart aches for you... and I know not at all what to say...
    Thank you for your honest post PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS! So sorry about the house thing too.

    Thinking of you guys and praying as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps - It doesn't say my name in the post above... It's Tracie Ancelet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer: I so appreciate your honesty in your posts. As christians its ok to say that we feel mad and upset. So many believers feel they can only say what others might want to hear. Given my own problems I talk with God several times a day and get mad. But he understands our hearts and I believe he appreciates our truthfulness. I think and pray for your family often. Much love adn prayers for your baby.

    ReplyDelete